Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladtess

And so I unsoldered a large transformer out of a microwave. It has two windings (don't know which is primary) but one of them is a very thick gauge and another is about 20 gauge with more loops. So ... here's the question. Is it safe to apply 5VDC to the thick wires? Or to the thin ones?

I just don't want to get killed that's all.

Oh, and btw, the goal is to make 120 V out of like 12 volts.. somehow.

Thanks!!!

Transformers are not built for DC. They use AC.
I don't think you will get hurt with 5VDC.
Your transformer is built for 110VAC to 'high voltage'.
If you want 120v from 12v then use a 120v to 12v transformer backwards.

Be aware that one terminal of the high voltage winding (the one with the thinner wire) is probably connected to the transformer core.

You shouldn't be messing with this - it's EXTREMELY dangerous - and trying to apply DC to a transformer shows you don't have the slightest idea what you're doing.

With the transformer connected to the mains as it should be (either 110V or 230V, depending where you are), the output will be fatal in most case - it's the most dangerous electrical item in your house.

well I mostly play with digital electronics, and never got into AC much as all. I pretty much know what happends after the diode bridge. But thanks!! I won't try diggin into this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back