Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cable for RF (high voltage) instrument

underwaterchippie

Hello chaps,
Just wondering if I could get some help finding this specific cable ( measured using my calipers).
- it has 09 Ptfe wires @0.99mm;
- BK and RD power @1.47mm;
- metal Shielded and 8mm overall Diameter

Any advised is welcomed. Based in the UK
IMG_8304.jpeg

Cables with unequal cores are fairly scarce.

The only reasonably available types I know of with similar core counts are some for machine tool encoders, or digital readouts.

I believe you will find the core insulation is more likely to be polythene or polyolefin? Polythene is very common in low capacitance cables. PTFE is rare, in anything other than UHF cables.

It's not an RF cable in any conventional sense, as it will not be constant impedance - that would require twisted pairs and/or screening around each wire or pair.

You used to be able to get bulk SCART cable in various styles and core counts, some of which were pretty good quality - but the only stuff I can see now is the most basic PVC multicore..

You can get multi pair video cable for studio use - eg. 8 or 12 pair; eg.

With a cable that has all equal core size, you can get one that has more cores and parallel some to make up the an equivalent to the heavier ones in the original cable.

These are a couple of examples of different encoder cables - one Heidenhain type (four larger and ten smaller cores) and one Fanuc type (six larger and ten smaller cores):

IMG_9864.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back