Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multi Voltage Transformer

buzz0431

PXL_20230526_221617274.jpg

How specific of voltage and amperage ratings are required for a replacement? Or what would one recommend for this? The primary and a few secondary windings blew from a voltage surge.

I understand the person I bought this unit from had his property hooked up to a backup generator, at one point it was hooked up incorrect so there was an incorrect voltage fed to the system. They said there were some other devices around the farm that had similar issues.
In which case, depending how excessive the voltage was, it 'might' just be the heat fuse which has blown.

I've had a thermal fuse go in a small transformer that looked like new. But, it had been in service for 15 years. I replaced it with an external fuse. The key issue is to inspect the transformer for signs of heating, like deformed plastic wrapping, scorched areas, etc. If there are no signs of overheating, odds are the thermal fuse went due to "age stress" or a brief power spike that caused more than 2A to flow though it (enough to blow the fuse portion).
These thermal fuses can fail at times. In my case, the replacement external fuse is fine, and equipment has been running with no issues after 2 years. Of course, one could replace the original in the same location (in transformer) and re-tape it back in place...

In my case, the replacement external fuse is fine, and equipment has been running with no issues after 2 years.
I have found the same thing over the years with these thermal fuses, Especially with TXMR.s such as the OP's where there is quite a large steel core to heat up, also the windings on it appear fairly pristine, with no sign of heating etc.
Which always seems to indicate that no excessive heating took place.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back