Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high voltage generator

heres a high voltage generator thats got a few probs.

It has a voltage division problem when charging the caps, and the diodes only block (to give off the highvoltage) and provide a resistance to go with the high voltage.

Also, because its a cap discharge, it starts off strong and weins off so only get 50% of the power out of it.

And... it runs on ac so its only on high voltage (when the charger is off) half the time, and when its off the resistor is also cancelled so the rest of the system shorts through it when its charging its caps.

So, looks completely insane? definitely easier than a marx generator if u dont understand spark gaps so well.

At the risk of me having missed something obvious,
the circuit shown on the OPs simulation, is not the same as the one shown in the link by Diver300.

The circuit in the simulation appears to be several odd circuits all connected in parallel, and don't stand a hope of operating as a voltage multiplier.

JimB

This is what it should look like:
1682696456348.png

1682696516613.png

This is the precisely the problem with many, although not all, YouTube videos: they show dodgy, untested circuits.
The Cockroft Walton multiplier has been used commercially for at least 80 years and its very well understood.

At the risk of me having missed something obvious,
the circuit shown on the OPs simulation, is not the same as the one shown in the link by Diver300.

The circuit in the simulation appears to be several odd circuits all connected in parallel, and don't stand a hope of operating as a voltage multiplier.

JimB

Not really a voltage multiplier, but it will grant the high voltage.

* only high voltage on *off* charge cycles. (Only when the charger is off - and it runs on pulsed dc, will the diodes block and the caps connect.)
* weins off as the capacitors discharge.
* has a problem reaching maximum voltage from short aways during the charge on the series line it outputs on.
(but if u supply enough resistance on the line and no resistance on the charging voltage it does actually get there.)
* does provide a shorting block through the circuit when putting it in another as a module, but is a short during its charge.

Its a faulty original concoction and it is definitely not as good as real multiplier... I'm guessing tho, because I cant actually read voltage doublers properly, but I understand my one only, thats probably why I should use it. But if I could actually know the truth of a real voltage multiplier maybe I could finally swap over to the industry standard.

I was wondering if people could help me to understand the voltage doubler Colkroft Walton, because I'm not sure what even I'm dealing with as it even as a black box.

So if anyone can help me with these questions, I would be better off at knowing how good it is, if I swap over to it.

* is the output of a voltage doubler, ac, dc or pulsed dc? - by the look of the graph of PapaBravo, it actually looks pulsed?

* Can I supply a resistor on the output, and what would that do to the output of the machine?

If people are thinking I've got my sim readings wrong and it not actually functional, I dont blame u, my video explanation leaves alot to be desired sorry. Just a quick sorta confusing overview only!

. here I simmed it.

So it seems you can pass any resistance to it (on the output) and it doesnt affect it - works at infinite resistance.

(Note, so does mine of course, but it has a problem that it gets cancelled to a short when the diodes open, and I know I should have known it does handle any resistance on the output already, im just being silly sorry, because voltage is the power of how much u can meet up to resistance.)

One funny thing tho, my system actually gets you there in half the caps if you count 5 volts ac as actually 10 volts pulsed dc!

But mine has the problem, because of how u cant put a resistor on the output line because it causes a voltage division on the caps, only when the diode blocks does the resistance get taken into account.

so win one lose one, for doing it yourself!!! (but none of this is for sure, I could have stuffed things up of course. :))

Last edited:

Electroplater,

I understand what your circuit is trying to accomplish, basically charge your caps in parallel and dump them in series.
The only arrangement that comes close to that is a Marx generator where the 1k resistors in your circuit would actually be spark gaps on a Marx. What I think you want is something like a Dickson charge pump which is very similar to a Cockroft-Walton charge pump. Either one is about the same, however I think the Dickson can be a little more efficient when using the 180 phased clock approach (second video below)

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back