Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exelancehero

Hello guys i have a Dell Inspiron N5110. My cdrom sata connector was ripped a while ago. Yesterday i decided to fix it because i wanted to buy a ssd and connect my hdd to cdrom socket. But i realized that 2 pins on sata board side was shorted together because their trace was exposed. it was the 1 and 2 number pins on the signal part of sata the A+ and GND. I am using this laptop with no problem with that short. The real question is what happens if I solder the female connector and connect my hdd to that connector ? Will it kill the hdd ? I would be happy to hear your answers.

with A+ shorted to ground, you may have already damaged that data line, as differential data lines are usually biased to 1/2Vcc, and shorting that to ground can damage the line driver for that pair of data lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back