Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Aces ES1-132 SATA cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

starLED

My Acer Aspire ES1-132 has an empty slot for HDD, but it doesn't come with a cable, which is sold separately.
Problem is that the cable is specific, it's SATA->HDD cable, and original cable costs around 40$, yes 40$. :eek: and there isn't one available in my country.
I would like to make a cable by myself, but I am not sure how, what can I use as SATA connector and what wires to solder to HDD connector to make cable?

On Amazon you can see the cable that I need:

This is the connector on the motherboard (left upper corner):
connector.jpg

I don't think you will be able to make your own cable. First, you need to buy the proper connector for each end. That may be difficult for the motherboard end, as it may be a custom made connector or custom pinouts, including the power pins. To figure out the signals, you need a proper schematic of the motherboard where that connector is located.
The other end (SATA) you will need to figure that all out as well, including signals and power.
For the trouble you will have just getting connectors and trying to figure the signals, buying the proper cable instead may be way cheaper in the long run.

Nice one founding it, but it's not economicaly justified to buy it from Amazon, Ebay etc.
Shipping costs are 50$ or more.

I can buy schematics to figure out the pins

Maybe I can desolder connector from the motherboard, and buy cable with HDD connector and solder wires directly to motherboard?

I can buy schematics to figure out the pins

Maybe I can desolder connector from the motherboard, and buy cable with HDD connector and solder wires directly to motherboard?
Unless you have surface mount desoldering tools, I doubt you will be able to remove that connector properly. Doing it wrong, and you will damage the traces on the motherboard. At that point, you may have to replace the motherboard.
Also, the traces are probably so fine, you would have problems soldering any "wire" to the pads on the motherboard without solder bridges or other damage to the traces.
It still boils down to the fact it is still simpler and safer to just buy the proper cable.

I did solder SMT components and thin wires before, so I know what I can expect.
Also I have a friend that works professional micro-soldering.
Maybe I can find some SATA connector similar to the original.

It still boils down to the fact it is still simpler and safer to just buy the proper cable.
It's safer, but not simple and cheap.

I am in Serbia.

I counted 20 pins on the image but on schematics there are 24 pins.
Can someone explain me that?

I am in Serbia.
Shipping for that ebay cable to Serbia is: $4.99
That's a dollar cheaper than to the UK.

ps. The connector on the machine motherboard appears to be a 36 pin; 18 pins each side.

I'd not trust that cable diagram - according that that, two or even all three supplies are connected to some of the same pins - see the power info, to right!

Last edited:
It seems you are right.
I never ordered anything from EBay, so I don't know.
I know that Amazon shipping costs are high.

I'd not trust that cable diagram - according that that, two or even all three supplies are connected to some of the same pins - see the power info, to right!

I didn't notice that.
I have a whole schematics 38 pages, and a CAD boardview.

Shipping for that ebay cable to Serbia is: $4.99
That's a dollar cheaper than to the UK.

ps. The connector on the machine motherboard appears to be a 36 pin; 18 pins each side.

I count 20 pins across the top.... The two outside pins are more in the shadows. Not sure if it is actually dual rows or not, can't tell from picture itself.
Picture from previous ebay link also shows 20 contacts on one side.

I count 20 pins across the top...
Could well be - I though they may be dummy contacts or polarising keys of some sort? If there are real contacts there, they seem to be burned or discoloured, very different to the rest of the contacts.

I have a boardview file, but I can't open it.
It's a .cad file extension.

Attachments

• da0zhpmb8e0-e-.zip
    157.8 KB · Views: 232
Here is the image from the other side.
There are only 20 pins on one side.
It's even printed 20 in the right lower corner.
I think it's even possible to solder wires directly to the pins on motherboard without desoldering connector, if that is needed.
IMG_20220307_212259.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back