Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identify a part

Status
Not open for further replies.

adown

Hi everyone, Im trying to identify a blown part in my stepper motor driver. It is a 110-220v micro stepper. I think its in the AC input circuit. It looks like a tube that was inside a piece of shrink tube. It might be some kind of fuse. There looks to be a part Symbol on the PCB also but Ive never seen it. Its just a line with a dot in the middle of it. Thanks for any input, adown

IMG_3048.JPG

It does appear to be some kind of axial leaded fuse. It's impossible to suggest a type and rating without more details of the device power ratings and dimensions.

There appears to be some discolouration from when it blew, but it's difficult to tell with the lighting in the photo?

Power input fuses can occasionally fail just with age and repeated power cycles, but it's more likely to have failed due to a fault in the device, meaning other parts may well need replacement otherwise changing the fuse may do nothing but cause further damage.

Can you post more photos, close ups of both sides of the board and the lead (pad) spacing for the fuse.
Plus the power specifications of the unit?

I put the carbon looking piece back into the shrink tubing, or jacket. So this is what it would have looked like. There is an F1 on the pcb, and a RSF on the jacket. It has about 15mm lead spacing. It is a Wantai DQ2722MA, 110V-220V 9.8A Microstepper. It seems it might be a fuse but I've never seen a fuse that is made of carbon. That piece of carbon slides in the jacket almost to the cap on the other side. I know why it blew. I had a loose wire on a buss and as I was moving the buss trying to pinpoint which wire it was, there was a loud pop. Yes I should have turned off the power, but the sound it was making was helping me narrow it down. lol

There is nothing on the other side of the board.

Thanks again

IMG_3060.JPG

Thanks for your help. I need to reflow some of the through hole components. The voltage surge caused a few other problems, but the fuses were only a few bucks so its worth trying. Thanks again to both of you!! adown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back