Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Having a little problem with PCB making .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

After choosing the right PIC USB programmer schematic i have decided to make a PCB with the help of traditional methods using :
Clothes iron
Ferrite chloride ( copper remover )
Copper surface.
Lazer printer .
Normal A4 paper .
Liquid soap .

Now according to the tutorial , i :
Printed the schematic on the paper ( Normal A4 paper ) , i have done that using lazer printer .
Let the clothes iron to heat up at max temp.
Put the paper on the copper surface
applied heat with pressure on the paper using the iron
After that i have directly put it in the liquid soap ( this is supposed to make the paper peel off easily from the copper surface ) and let it for about 4 minutes.

Now the problem is in the peeling process, i peel off the paper but there is a thin paper layer that is hard to remove , when i try to remove it with my hand the ink gets removed with it too .

Any ways i have continued the process , now i have to put the copper surface on the ferrite chloride to remove the copper and only the copper beneath the ink should stay .

After doing that i see the copper disappearing , i have left to to disappear entirely .

Now i only see the schematic lines alone witch is good , but the problem is that the ink is still hard to remove to let the copper lines appear ( probably because i did not remove all the paper in the previous step ?? )

I hope some one help me out on this .

I used rice paper because it dissolves in water better. (this has been years ago)

Use acetone or MEK to remove the toner/ink. Nail polish remover can be used, but is more expensive and may leave some residue.

John

Thanks , i guess the problem is the paper am using .
What type of paper is advised ?

Last edited:
What type of paper is advised ?
Ordinary printed glossy magazine/catalogue paper gets good reports. I've not tried it.

I thought you had the etched board. If you can't remove the toner with solvent, use a fresh razor blade as a scraper, like when you remove paint from glass. Just slide it under the resist and do a final clean up with solvent. You can also use a 3M, non-metallic abrasive pad.

John

Thanks for the help , i have actually managed to get rid of the ink manually , the PCB looks nice though , but am sure it will look nicer with the right paper .

BTW this is the PCB layout , and i wonder what is a good alternative for the L1 component (VK200 self ) , am not sure i will find one like it easily .
usb_prog.jpg

No this is just the layout posted on the tutorial , its not me who designed it , am just making one based on it

As i said before i managed to remove the ink from the copper , now i have to use a small drill .

could i just use a strap as a replacement for the VK200 self L1 ?

Looks to me like it is part of a noise filter on the USB 5V supply:
upload_2013-11-3_16-31-57.png

John

(Now the problem is in the peeling process, i peel off the paper but there is a thin paper layer that is hard to remove , when i try to remove it with my hand the ink gets removed with it too .)

don't forget to clean the board w/ a solvent (I use acetone) before applying the iron. Make sure it's cleaned and dry.

Not bad for a first go and with regular paper.

If you can find rice paper you can give that a try. Color pages from SOME magazines work. Finding which can be a trial.

PulsarPro sells a paper coated with starch. The paper falls off the board about a minute after you put it in the water.

Not bad for a first go and with regular paper.

If you can find rice paper you can give that a try. Color pages from SOME magazines work. Finding which can be a trial.

PulsarPro sells a paper coated with starch. The paper falls off the board about a minute after you put it in the water.
Hey thanks

Next time i'll try to make better ones .

Do you have an idea on a good PCB design software ?? i have some PWM circuits to make .

Last edited:
Eagle sounds good .

Right now am reading a book about SMPSs , hopefully i will learn enough from it to make my own , also planning to make PCBs based on that power supply and a
PWM design .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back