Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB design verification

okbro

Hi,
I have designed a PCB layout for fabrication but I am sure it is good to sent. Attached are gerbers files. On the top and below I wanted bluish color like on Arduino board but I think I am missing this.

Attachments

• minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM.ZIP
    25.3 KB · Views: 126
Your gerber files should only be in quadrant 1 .... i.e. no negative coordinates

Otherwise it makes it difficult for the gerber reader to view the data properly when the data is out of range.

1699510974847.png

I've never had a problem with that. I usually put the board origin at the center of the board – it makes it far easier to position switches, LEDs, etc where there is often symmetry.

I have put the pcb layout in the first quardrant and attached are the new gerber files. is this ok? I am using a free PCB gerber file checker called HQDFM(download is free https://www.nextpcb.com/dfm.html) whether the pcb has any problem during manufacuting and the software shows errors as attached in the screenshot. I edited the PCB layout several times and checked whether the error would go away but they aren't. could this be software fault or something like that?

1.png
2.png

Attachments

• minHolder - CADCAM.ZIP
    25.5 KB · Views: 117
I've never had a problem with that. I usually put the board origin at the center of the board – it makes it far easier to position switches, LEDs, etc where there is often symmetry.
I also position the origin to someplace other than the corner to simplify positioning mechanical details. I often reposition it multiple times. But since resetting the origin in my CAD package takes only seconds, there is no penalty for doing so.

okbro.
The two errors you show in post #5 are not critical errors. They're more like warnings that you have violated good design practices. Personally, I would fix them. You say that you have tried but they don't go away. Do you understand what the error messages are saying?

Yes, I did and later on I found from the DFM tool provider why there is error and he said that it is nothing serious, he said "The software identifies one of the board online as circuits because your file has two board outline. Usually, there should only one outline placing in the outline layer.".

Gerber files are not responsible for the color specifications of PCB board , rather it is responsible for PCB design layout. The color on Gerber files is only for visualization purposes and does not dictate the color on PCB board. If the color you are seeing on your Gerber file is different than intended, it might be some default settings of your PCB design software. Try to change the settings to align with your preferences.

The soldermask is the color of the board. This is specified when ordering the boards – it's not specified in the Gerber file.

Normally you define the colour preference and substrate properties or material name of the FR4 in a readme.txt file and include the colour of the silk screen if optional. ( normally white)

Any additional requirements such as paneling and type, would go here.
This makes some small boards easier to wave or IR solder.

Make sure you include test points and perform some kind of DFT with your DFM.

Delete the dozen unused layers.

Delete the dozen unused layers.
Include:
Top and bottom copper
Top and bottom soldermask
Top and bottom silkscreen
Drill file

even if these layers aren't used. If you don't, progress of building your boards may stop until they check with you to verify your intent.

Also Include in the Readme file and/or when you order if anything is unusual. As example, that the board is being used as a front panel and it has no tracks.

his readme

LABCENTER PROTEUS TOOL INFORMATION FILE
=======================================

In case of difficulty, please e-mail support@labcenter.co.uk

Tool set up for Proteus layout 'minArduinoICHolder.pdsprj'.
CADCAM generated at 4:59:50 PM on Friday, November 03, 2023.

File List
---------
Top Copper : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Top Copper.GBR
Bottom Copper : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Bottom Copper.GBR
Top Silk Screen : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Top Silk Screen.GBR
Top Solder Resist : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Top Solder Resist.GBR
Bottom Solder Resist : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Bottom Solder Resist.GBR
Mechanical 1 : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Mechanical 1.GBR
Top Assembly : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Top Assembly.GBR
Drill, Plated, 1-16 : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Drill TOP-BOT Plated.GBR
Netlist : minArduinoICHolder - CADCAM Netlist.IPC

Photoplotter Setup
------------------
Format: X2, ASCII, 4.3, metric, absolute, eob=*, LZO
Bounds: -36.5mm -20.2mm 18.9mm 19.9mm
Notes: D=Diameter, S=Side, W=Width, H=Height, C=Chamfer, I=Index

D10 CIRCLE D=0.254mm DRAW Conductor
D11 CIRCLE D=0.762mm FLASH ViaPad
D12 SQUARE S=1.51mm FLASH ComponentPad
D13 CIRCLE D=1.51mm FLASH ComponentPad
D14 CIRCLE D=1.03mm FLASH ComponentPad
D15 CIRCLE D=1.778mm FLASH ComponentPad
D16 CIRCLE D=1.524mm FLASH ComponentPad
D17 CIRCLE D=3.81mm FLASH ComponentPad
D18 CIRCLE D=3.556mm FLASH ComponentPad
D19 CIRCLE D=1.397mm FLASH WasherPad
D70 CIRCLE D=0.203mm DRAW Profile
D71 CIRCLE D=0.127mm DRAW Material
D20 CIRCLE D=0.2mm DRAW Material
D21 CIRCLE D=0.203mm DRAW Material
D22 CIRCLE D=0.508mm DRAW Material
D23 CIRCLE D=0.152mm DRAW Material
D24 CIRCLE D=1.016mm FLASH Material
D25 PPAD W=1.61mm H=1.61mm I=0 FLASH Material
D26 CIRCLE D=1.61mm FLASH Material
D27 CIRCLE D=1.13mm FLASH Material
D28 CIRCLE D=2.032mm FLASH Material
D29 CIRCLE D=1.778mm FLASH Material
D72 CIRCLE D=4.318mm FLASH Material
D73 CIRCLE D=4.064mm FLASH Material
D30 CIRCLE D=1.651mm FLASH Material
D31 CIRCLE D=0.05mm DRAW Material
D32 CIRCLE D=0.604mm DRAW Material
D33 CIRCLE D=0.584mm DRAW Material
D34 CIRCLE D=0.412mm DRAW Material
D35 CIRCLE D=0.269mm DRAW Material
D36 CIRCLE D=0.711mm DRAW Material
D37 CIRCLE D=0.112mm DRAW Material
D38 CIRCLE D=0.61mm DRAW Material
D39 CIRCLE D=1.524mm DRAW Material
D40 CIRCLE D=0.35mm DRAW Material
D41 CIRCLE D=0.168mm DRAW Material
D42 CIRCLE D=0.11mm DRAW Material
D43 CIRCLE D=0.559mm DRAW Material
D44 CIRCLE D=0.199mm DRAW Material
D45 CIRCLE D=0.172mm DRAW Material
D46 CIRCLE D=0.381mm FLASH ViaDrill
D47 CIRCLE D=0.991mm FLASH ComponentDrill
D48 CIRCLE D=0.61mm FLASH ComponentDrill
D49 CIRCLE D=0.762mm FLASH ComponentDrill
D50 CIRCLE D=2.54mm FLASH ComponentDrill
D51 CIRCLE D=2.286mm FLASH ComponentDrill
D52 CIRCLE D=0.813mm FLASH ComponentDrill

Layer Stackup
-------------
Top Solder Resist : 0.01mm Resist
Top Copper : 0.018mm Copper
Core : 1.55mm FR4
Bottom Copper : 0.018mm Copper
Bottom Solder Resist : 0.01mm Resist

Last edited:
Mine was a general statement based on my experiences. I've deleted layers (of my listed layers) when they weren't used and it's resulted in email exchanges because "you don't have a top copper layer", so I include them with a note now.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back