Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Halogen Lamp Driving: High output

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

I'm working on deploying few of those high-brightness halogen lamps (the kind usually advertised as 1 or 2 million candella). The bulb I have in mind is a 55 W halogen. The power supply is 6 Volts with a 4 Amp rating.

Is there anything special to driving a halogen lamp? I mean, do they need ballasts or anything like that, or do they just connect straight to a DC battery?

Last edited:
There are a number of ways to provide light from electrical power. One is to apply current to a tungsten/other filament to such a degree that it gives off visible light.

Another way is to cause electric current to flow thru a gas to a point where light is given off - quite often after some kind of startup heating or pulse is applied to ionize the gas.

The filament is common to many kinds of lighting - auto lamps, flashlights, houseold bulbs (of the past anyway). Some manufacturers have added small amounts of material to these bulbs to increase output - and call them halogen bulbs presumably because trivial amounts of halogen are involved.

A High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamp has electric current flowing thru an ionized gas to the extent that it gives off a lot of light. A fluorescent light is similar - save for the phosphors that convert UV to visible light - same idea though.

I get the distinct impression that marketing is done in such a way as to confuse people on the difference. A bulb with a filament can usually take current directly from the source - as long as the voltage and current requirements are met. An HID or fluorescent lamp requires a higher voltage to get the gas to glow so a power supply or ballast is required - to begin the process and also control current to sustain the process at the desired level.

Most autos have filament lamps though some have HID lamps. One of three vehicles in my fleet has HID. HID is nice but can be pricey.

Halogens ? Whack them straight onto a battery.

You might want to put a high uF capacitor in parallel with the battery as when these start up they can take up to 10 times their rated current until they get going (usually when the filament is visibly half of its full brightness is when the current drain starts to drop).

Oh and a 55w bulb at 6v is 55/6 = almost 10 amps so your 4 amp supply aint going to cut it anyway.

I was just going to say the same thing. What are the lamps made for? 55w halogen lights are commonly sold as fog/driving lights in the US.

What are you going to put them on?

What is a very hot and bright portable light used for?
It is over-kill for somebody riding a bicycle at night.

I don't know if you can get them in Canada but in the UK you can buy huge heavy duty 1 million candle power torches that use halogen bulbs and lead acid batteries. They're handy to use as search lights, some are ao bright that you can even see the beam reflecting off clouds.

Nigel Goodwin said:
As he mentioned '1 million candle power' it's probably 6V?, the ones you get in the torches (flash lights) with a 6V SLA inside.

Ahh, I didn't think of that, but your right. Now that I think about it, some do say 55watt on the packaging.

"For people ... who like to search ... for clouds ... at night".
Oh well, some people like to do anything for thrills.

Hero999 said:
I don't know if you can get them in Canada but in the UK you can buy huge heavy duty 1 million candle power torches that use halogen bulbs and lead acid batteries. They're handy to use as search lights, some are ao bright that you can even see the beam reflecting off clouds.

They are also good for scaring daughters and their friends when camping in the back yard! :p

Doesn't half shine through a tent well!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back