Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Garage door closer

Szturc

Lost some stuff from the garage because I forgot to close the door. Any ideas for a circuit which would supply a short amount of 12 volt DC to the down selector when the PIR in the garage switches off?

Missing some important information.

What powers the PIR?
What does the PIR control?
Does the down selector need a 12 V input, or is it a switch with 12 V across it when it is un-pushed?
What power sources are available for the interface circuit?

If you are talking about using a light that the opener turns on, and then goes off a while after the door stops moving, those usually are triggered by motor action, not a thermal sensor such as a PIR. This is not a problem for whipping up a small circuit, but it is a different circuit.

I took a different approach. I put a magnet on each door and a magnetic reed switch (like a window switch in a security system) on each door frame, driving a red/green LED inside the house with an old wall-wart power supply and 1 resistor. The switch loop connects the green LED. Its Vf is lower than the combination of the red LED plus the diode, so it "shorts out" the red LED path. When either switch opens, green is disconnected, allowing current through the red LED. I used a dual-color common-anode LED because I had one; the schematic shows two separate LEDs. The red LED is on whenever either door is open more than 1".

ak

GarageDoorIndicator-1-c.gif

Last edited:
Chamberlain makes a wifi enabled remote to mount in your garage - it is a little repeater. Your phone communicates with the controller/repeater and the controller/repeater communicates with your door opener like any standard remote does. The added part is a little Bluetooth fob that is mounted to the door - it senses if the door is closed if the fob is v or h oriented.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back