Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Omnibus door controller build

Solderspitter

I would like to build an electric power door controller to replace the obsolete commercial device in a project RV.
I did something wrong cutting out old wires and now the old one doesn't like me. I cannot find a manual for this thing, so would be better and far less costly to have something I can service myself from hobby parts.
I had this one rigged with an aftermarket remote fob, perhaps I could integrate one in a new circuit?
My guess is that it's a pwm stepper driver. The motors look like screen wiper arm type, 12v. Not sure about power rating, by the gauge wire, 10Amp or less. Two doors, a motor on each.

There must be a way to use Arduino or some kind of pre-made boards to put something together?
Press button, circuit activates, doors open. Press button again, circuit activates, doors close.
The original was connected so that the doors would always close before you could drive the bus. Bit of a nuisance.

It looks like a simple circuit with micro switches running on contacting cams to detect the limit of travel.
The doors lift up a little when closing, I guess that's why there's one switch that's not on one cam.

Can I get some suggestions for parts to figure out a circuit?

Attachments

• DSC00689.JPG
    DSC00689.JPG
    779.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00691.JPG
    DSC00691.JPG
    859.3 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    838.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00695.JPG
    DSC00695.JPG
    568 KB · Views: 107
It looks like a standard brushed DC motor, no a stepper. Just connect power one way to open and reverse the connections to close.

Don’t leave power on the motor. It will burn out in a minute or less.

PWM would only be needed to slow the movement.

It looks like a standard brushed DC motor, no a stepper. Just connect power one way to open and reverse the connections to close.

Don’t leave power on the motor. It will burn out in a minute or less.

PWM would only be needed to slow the movement.
Ok sounds good. Had more of think about this. Ordered a PWM speed controller with plenty of power.
The doors open and close at one rate then slow as they lift up at the limit of travel.
There must be a time out somewhere in the circuit that reopens the partially closed doors if obstructed, unless it senses the stall load going above a maximum.
It would make good sense to use a latching circuit for both directions following an activation pulse from the switch. I am a basic hack solderer and learning by necessity. Any commercial board available ?

It would certainly be a good idea to reopen a partially closed door when the current goes above some threshold before the doors are fully closed. Waiting for a timeout isn't so good as the speed will vary with temperature and supply voltage.

Garage door openers often have preset switches to sense end to stop then latch state and sense overcurrent for as fault or blockage. It's not clear what you have from the dirty photos.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back