Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor to control Swing Door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve7

I have a swing door with dimensions 1960mm x 900mm x 90mm, weighing 630kg. Friction on the hinges would be negligible and the door will be indoors so there will be no wind etc. I want the door to be opened and closed using an electric motor, but am unsure what specifications I will need for the motor.

The motor will be powered on by a relay. Ideally the door would open 100 degrees in 5 seconds and then be able to automatically reverse. I intend to install a second single pole double throw relay with an NC switch to achieve the reverse capability. If anyone has any advice on what I should look for in motor specifications for this it would be much appreciated.

A short linear actuator should be up to it.
It could be extended in the closed position, when you say "automatically reverse". what initiates the reverse action?

Thanks for the reply, it will be controlled by a PLC. The program would initiate the reverse.

It's the KW rating, or torque/rpm of the motor I'm unsure of.

You need a geared motor with a very high torque output and soft acceleration or torque limiting, so it does not break things trying to start the door mass moving instantly, plus slowdown at the end of travel so it does not slam.

I'd look at motors designed to operate such as large swing gates, especially linear types as Max suggested - they are far cheaper than rotary ones.

eg.

You can also get electric/hydraulic types;

"Pure" rotary actuators for high mass loads tend to be rather expensive..

Basic, "bare" linear actuators are very cheap, but you need to provide the motor speed control and allow for acceleration / deceleration, safety switches etc.
A 630Kg door slamming at high speed would not do anything any good - especially if a person or limb is in the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back