Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flat panel monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
audioguru said:
My LCD monitor has a 17" diagonally viewable screen. With the new driver for it, it seems to radiate heat that wasn't noticed with WinXP's default driver. :?

LCD's work by some kind of light source behind the LCD, you said it was a better picture now?, so it's probably turned up brighter?. It will help to keep you warm in such a cold place :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
LCD's work by some kind of light source behind the LCD, you said it was a better picture now?, so it's probably turned up brighter?. It will help to keep you warm in such a cold place :lol:
It doesn't seem brighter but maybe I should turn down its brightness.
It has a florescent tube that I didn't think is dimmable. Maybe it reduces brightness directly in its LCD, leaving the florescent tube running flat out.
I'll let you know if it becomes cooler when its screen-saver kicks-in.

I just finished replacing all the incandescent light bulbs in my home. Compact florescent ones were on sale so I bought a package of 6. Of course I had to replace my dimmers with switches.
I didn't like the way the new bulbs started at different times, were very dim at first then had slightly different colours when warm so I complained to Osram/Sylvania, their importer. I was transferred to their technical dept and had a good long chat about the cheap Chinese ones they import because people here can't afford their good German ones, and other technical chat stuff.
Good service. A couple of days ago a courier delivered a huge box of their German compact florescent bulbs that are great! I didn't even have to return the Chinese ones and are also using them. :lol:

Did I tell you what Coca-Cola did for me when a can burst in my car? They paid for a very expensive complete detailing job, inside and out! I went to the place that serves the rich and famous. :lol:

Crazy weather here. The past few days were very cold with snow. Today it is balmy with some nice warm rain. Now it's sunny. No, it's raining again.
Sunny. Raining. Sunny. Raining. Lightning!

Funny story: A couple months ago we had crazy lightning. We have some people that rent two rooms in our house. After the lightning storm their computer would not work, blown motherboard or somethin. Anyway, they blamed me for doing something in the garage and blowing out the computer. When I offered the obviously much more reasonable explanation that the lightning did it no one believed me!!! :lol:

My son got a huge CRT monitor from E-bay. It continuously blinked and its colours and its black level were screwed-up. Previously he had two monitors showing different stuff. What confusion! "Ring, ring. Dad, look up this on my pc". Which monitor???
If you want sumpthin' not to work right, get it on E-bay.

Right now I am fixing the speakers he got from E-bay. He showed me that there was hardly any bidding on a really expensive entire system!
I told him to look closely at the speakers that looked like they fell off a truck (lorry?) and were "fixed" with hot melt glue.
Guess what? It is 20 years old. The speakers are "fixed" with the wax stuff and everything was loose and buzzing. My fingernails are hurting from picking away the wax, and I have one side (how many sides are on a cube???) properly glued with wood glue and wood blocks with a bungee cord holding everything together. :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back