Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Flat panel monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zachtheterrible

Just thought I'd share with everybody that I got a flatpanel monitor!!!!!!!! Now all I need is highspeed internet and I'll be set :lol:

My Mom decided to split the cost with me because she is afraid of the rays that tube monitors emit. Especially since my Grandfather who was a TV repairman just died partly from his lukemia. She's convinced that's why he got lukemia. I didn't argue this with her :lol:

I like CRts more than LCDs.Shure there big and have an refersh rate.But the image on the screen can refresh faster and the colors are richer.

But still good.

Someone Electro said:
I like CRts more than LCDs.Shure there big and have an refersh rate.But the image on the screen can refresh faster and the colors are richer.

But still good.

Yea, the fastest refresh is 60hz for this monitor. I had to reconnect my old monitor twice because the first time the refresh was too fast and the second time when I restarted the computer it hadn't saved the settings. Had to lug that heavy CRT up and down the stairs twice. It doesn't matter though because of my massive muscles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

I have it 75Hz.

I cant stand looking at an monitor that is working at 60Hz.Good thing in school i cod change those settings.Or i wod have to stare at 60Hz for an hour.

I have my Samsung 17" LCD monitor running at 1152 by 864 and it works at a 75Hz refresh rate but I keep it at 70Hz so it might last longer.
It is running on a WinXP default driver but might be better with Samsung's driver. :lol:

I don't like crts. Before I bought my 17" LCD, I used to have 15" crt, that was running @ 800*600 at 100Hz, I had to write my own driver so it could be overclocked :D

CRTs damaged my eyes a lot, now I have to wear glasses :evil:

audioguru said:
I have my Samsung 17" LCD monitor running at 1152 by 864 and it works at a 75Hz refresh rate but I keep it at 70Hz so it might last longer.

What makes you think it will make any difference?.

It is running on a WinXP default driver but might be better with Samsung's driver. :lol:

So why didn't you install the correct driver?.

I got glasses because my old age caused my arms to be too short to hold what I look at closely. My eyes' focus mechanism got stiff.
At about 40 years old I got "reading" glasses for close-up stuff. Then my eyes couldn't focus far away nor in between. Now I have tri-focal glasses with a new high-tech anti-reflective coating that allows me to see through ..... and see other IR things, and I see perfectly. :lol:

audioguru said:
At about 40 years old I got "reading" glasses for close-up stuff. Then my eyes couldn't focus far away nor in between. Now I have tri-focal glasses

Why tri-focal, and nor vari-focal?, I'm wondering about the relative advantages of each.

I've been wearing glasses since I was eight, for shortsightedness. As I've got older my close vision has started to fade, as is common with age (like your's have). Last time I had my eyes tested I was told to take my glasses off to read, which I am still currently doing - but the next thing will be bi-focal, or vari-focal lenses.

I could really do with getting my eyes tested again, but there's always something else to spend the money on! :p

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:

What makes you think it will make any difference?.
There are millions of pixels and something must be operating at a pretty high frequency to control them. I think the high frequency would cause more heat in the parts.

So why didn't you install the correct driver?.
Thanks, Nigel. I just installed a driver that is newer than my monitor and it is clearer. :lol:

Nigel Goodwin said:
audioguru said:
At about 40 years old I got "reading" glasses for close-up stuff. Then my eyes couldn't focus far away nor in between. Now I have tri-focal glasses

Why tri-focal, and not vari-focal?, I'm wondering about the relative advantages of each.
Vari-focal lenses have a very small section for close-up viewing and you must move your head side-to-side to read. My tri-focals are pretty big with the largest close-up part that would fit. :lol:

audioguru said:
Vari-focal lenses have a very small section for close-up viewing and you must move your head side-to-side to read. My tri-focals are pretty big with the largest close-up part that would fit. :lol:

Thanks, it's good to have more information on it!, particularly from a happy user!.

Eye Problems...

I believe I was born with nornal vision. But the doctor differs. I am supposed to have an asigmatic error in my right. eye. I accidently discovered it while rubbing my left eye at the age of 19.

I fancied wearing a monocle but could not find one in the market. So had to content with a specticle.... My power for the right eye is +4 cylindrical and -1 spherical. The left eye is perfect. ;)

When I am scolded for using computers for the whole day, I say I have only one eye bad.... So! Do you want to spoil both your eyes!!! :D

With my tri-focal glasses I don't strain my eyes by looking at my monitor.

20/20 vision here i'm proud to say :lol:

I don't mind the 60hz refresh rate on my monitor since it only refreshes when the screen changes. I guess it wouldn't be as good for gaming but I don't own a single video game or computer game :lol:

hmm...I tried 60 and 70 Hz and it didn't change the overall output of the monitor. It's an old CRT though (bought it for $6 US) and it's crisp enough for me. 12" is a bit small though.

theinfamousbob said:
hmm...I tried 60 and 70 Hz and it didn't change the overall output of the monitor. It's an old CRT though (bought it for $6 US) and it's crisp enough for me. 12" is a bit small though.

It's doubtful it's 12 inch?.

You measure diagonally across the CRT - but the OUTSIDE of the CRT, not the viewable area - it's probably actually 14 inch?.

My old 486 pc that I used for more than 10 years until it broke last year has a 13" diagonally viewable screen, and it seems to be tiny.

My LCD monitor has a 17" diagonally viewable screen. With the new driver for it, it seems to radiate heat that wasn't noticed with WinXP's default driver. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back