Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Feedback confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy40

Hello to all members,

I am a student of electronics and new to this forum.
My question is related to opamps.
I will try to attach the circuit (I`ve seen elsewhere) - it has two feedback circuits and my question is
* What is the purpose of such a circuit and
* What is the gain (if it should work)?

Thank you
Buddy

Last edited:
hi,
Your pdf file will not open, Invalid File' message

The circuit configuration is called howland current source, quite hard to find when you don´t know what it is. I rememberd it took me a few weeks to get to the bone of this circuit back in 2006 :D
Use google or look at this **broken link removed**

Last edited:
Kubeek and JimB,

thank you for your quick reply and the attached documents.
In particular, the second one (from Jim) is very nice.
I am surprised that it is a current source - but not the opamp output, right?
I was told that at the output of the opamp there is a voltage and we have an amplifier.
Is this false?

The opamp output sources the voltage and the resistive divider provides and monitors the output current. The negaitve input of the opamp doesn´t source this current in any way, it only measures the voltage at that point.

If you are using the opamps output pin as a voltage output (not as the Howland) , then here is a way of analizing it.

First, assume R3 is infinite. Then it degenerates into a conventional non-inverting amplifier, where for a finite R4, the gain is 1+R2/R1.

Now start making R3 smaller. Because R3 provides positive feedback, the overall gain of stage increases. There is a limit to how small R3 can become without making the positive feedback greater than the negative feedback via R1/R2.

The place where things go wierd is when R3/R4 = R2/R1.

I'll let you do the equations...

btw, there is a "homework" forum for questions like this...

Last edited:
Hi,

An expression for the output voltage is this:

Vout=V1*R3*(R1+R2)/(R1*R3-R2*R4)

But as you can see there are going to be constraints on the resistor values (as Mike also pointed out). For example, the denominator immediately tells us that R1*R3 can not be equal to R2*R4. You can look for other problems yourself if you would like to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back