Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical Vehicle Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphacat

Hey.

I'm very interested in this subject.
I read about Coulomb Tech. that owns such product and wanted to ask something about it please.

Each Charging Station comprises a RFID reader (Smart Card Reader), as part of the authentication process of allowing only permitted cars to use the Charging Station for charging.

Is this Smart Card installed on the car itself, meaning the car itself is being autherized, or is the Smart Card given to the driver, which will allow the driver to charge any vehicle he desires (not only his own vehicle).

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
It wouldn't make and difference as far as I can see.
The owner who registered would still be the one who is billed for the service.

Yeah, but if the Charging Station authorizes the driver, and not the vehicle, then a driver who receives such vehicle from the company he works for (for example) could use the card in order to charge its private vehicle.

Last edited:
I'd like to understand one other thing please.
It says in the datasheet of the EV Charger:

nema-jpg.33711

Does it mean that the cord which connects the EV Charger to the vehicle passes 30A or 46A?

Moreover, why are two lines of 30A needed if only one 30A line is used in the output?

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• nema.JPG
    nema.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 254
There are two charge levels on the right column: the low level uses only the 120V/16A line (level 1: 1.9kW). The higher level 2 uses a 208/240V@30A three phase power for 7.2kW charge power. The 120V uses two wires (line and neutral) and the 240V three phase uses two lines and neutral. Total of five wires: Line(120), Line (240), Line (240), neutral, earth ground. Each 240Line is rated for 30A, the 120 Line is 16A.

Last edited:
Thank you very much fella!
Great explanation!

Do you think that the operator should choose between higher level (fast charge) and lower level (slow charge)?

Last edited:
You would use slow charge if you have the time and fast charge only if you must. fast charge will likely be less efficient because it pushes the power converter harder. It also increases peak power usage.

How are they going to stop people snarfing other people's RFID transmissions and then using them to fill up on someone else's account??

I though RFID was barely secure enough to stop people walking through a doorway...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back