Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do Mosquito Repellent circuit work or not !

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Hi guys :

Do Mosquito Repellent circuit work or not !..

If somebody has make any Mosquito repellent circuit then Please reply me whether it works or not..

Whether circuit repel mosquito or not....

Thanks

My guess is NOT. But I'm sure there are plenty of people who claim that they do and are selling them to gullible people who believe that they do ;-)
Some circuits might even accidentally replicate the mating call of the mosquito and attract them instead of repelling them! :D

Government health experts report in Google what they think of Mosquito Repellent Circuits (they are useless). Read about it yourself.
My government got rid of mosquitoes by using a safe larvacide in storm sewer drains and ponds. But now the bats who ate some of them are also gone.

one interesting technique would be to have an open container, fill it with with sugar or something that Yeast organisms feed on, keep the mix wet, heat it and keep it at a const temp of abt 98 degF and keep a high V wire mesh pair that sparks whenever a mosquito flies through the mesh... we get something called a mosq. swatter... looks lik a tennis bat which is electrified and zaps mosqs when u wave the mesh on them.... as for the yeast, mosqs are attracted to CO2 and warmth... whic the yeast gives out as a byproduct...

When a 9V battery is shorted by a metal window screen then the battery and/or the screen might smoke for a couple of minutes. Then the smoke might repel anything that is alive including you and some mosquitoes.

When a 9V battery is shorted by a metal window screen then the battery and/or the screen might smoke for a couple of minutes. Then the smoke might repel anything that is alive including you and some mosquitoes.

I heard it suggest that you buy a bug zapper and give it to your neighbor as a gift. The idea is that it would draw the bugs away from your property. With this sketter zapper I would set it up a bit away from where you are. Play with it to see what it the best distance. Maybe a few around the edges of your yard.

Last edited:
All I tried didn't work; they emit either infra, ultra, or any type of high frequency etc., waves. Not sure who thought it would work. If there was any truth to it, areas were they are needed would have been building them by the bucket load: Philippines, Indonesia, Africa, Amazon, etc., and other places malaria is endemic, mosquitoes are a big problem and it costs too much money to spray with insecticide. But a solar powered mosquito repeller would be cheap to mass produce and self supporting.

A simple way to keep mosquito controlled beyond using OFF or other equivalent chemicals, is cover stagnant ponds of water with 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable cooking oil. Its earth friendly, and a small amount with spread to layer and form a cover on the water to suppress larvae from breathing. There is a ratio of oil to a surface area you can check on the Internet [if its not blacked out because of the SOPA protest.]

https://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/pests/mosquit.htm

Last edited:
But now the bats who ate some of them are also gone.

I still have most of my bats, but the Swallows are no longer so ubiquitous after two good water years in a row and the spraying that followed. Sad. :(

Mosquitoes detect heat and carbon dioxide. DEET interferes with these senses. Ultrasonic sound does not.

Quite an old thread but since I am working on to make and test a mosquito repellent circuit since few weeks, I would like to add my points here.

As there are some electronics products that claims to repel mosquitoes electronically, I tried to found circuits and build one for myself (for study purpose). After searching a few I recently build a 555 timer based circuit similar to this one. Since the sound produced by this circuit is not audible (A very thin beep similar to those created by mosquitoes), I tried and tested for few days to find out if they actually works. But so far I haven't seen any sign that mosquitoes are scaring away from the circuit.

I researched on Google to find out more about the ultrasound concept and find this piece of information: https://www.mosquito.org/faq#attracts
What it says is quite clear about this concept.

"At least 10 studies in the past 15 years have unanimously denounced ultrasonic devices as having no repellency value whatsoever. Yet, consumers flock in droves to hardware stores to purchase these contraptions. Why? The discovery that mosquitoes locate mates in mating swarms via wing beat frequency generated a great deal of research into ultrasound as a potential source of environmentally-friendly control. Yet, all attempts to affect mosquito behavior by ultrasound have fizzled, despite enormous amounts of money spent upon research and development. To be sure, the clever, high-tech, and imperceptible (by humans) use of ultrasound proved to be an exceedingly effective marketing tool for the repeller manufacturers. Homeowners were urged to buy ultrasonic repellers and the like to rid their houses of pests without the need to inhale "even one breath of poisonous spray". This appeal to the public's chemophobia, while extremely effective in diverting attention away from proven preventive and control measures (and toward their repeller products), has undermined an unbiased review of the subject by consumers desperate for a clean, effective, nonchemical means of mosquito control. Unfortunately, no such miracle cure exists. A pioneering study testing five different ultrasonic devices against four mosquito species convincingly demonstrated that ultrasound in the 20-70 kHz range used by these devices had no effect on reorienting flight by female mosquitoes either toward or away from human subjects. Additional tests have shown that sound generators capable of a wide range of frequencies were also ineffective in repelling mosquitoes. The fact is that these devices just do not work - marketing claims to the contrary. "

My neighbourhood had bats flying around every evening. The bats ate some of the mosquitoes. Since a few years ago the bats are gone. Most of the mosquitoes are also gone.
Why? Because my city put larvacide in all the rain drains and ponds. They do it every few months and mark the drains and ponds that are done. The larvacide is safe for birds and animals but it stops mosquitoes from reproducing.

When your mosquitoes and the diseases brought by them came here then my government got rid of them here.

Most effective catchers I have seen use propane burner with catalytic converter to generate heat and CO2 with fan to cool converter to also draw insects into trombone like intake with CO2 out the centre with 1/2" pvc pipe. The catch netting was filling a cup of insects a week in dense problem areas.

The propane mosquito killer that Tony mentioned is apparently quite effective. I believe they were developed by the Military for camps located in mosquito infested areas. They are said to keep an area of several hundred feet free of mosquitoes if operated continuously. Since mosquitoes don't usually travel very far from their birthplace, once an area is clear, it will stay that way for awhile, even after the machine is turned off.

The good thing, is it works. The bad part is it doesn't attract all of them and its only the female ones that need blood. It also attracts them from your neighbours.

This is the original one I've seen. https://www.mosquitomagnet.com/resources/videos-demonstrations
In Winnipeg at the height of mossy season in warm shade, you may expect 60 bites per minute , unprotected.

I built an elephant repelling circuit that is working very good. Hasn't been an elephant in my yard since it was turned on.

My area has been filled with thousands of mosquitos, and once I also have made a multivibrator (two transistor based) which was oscillated to ultrasonic, and output connected to a small piezo buzzer. No one was repelled. They were landing on the circuit instead. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back