Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do Mosquito Repellent circuit work or not !

Status
Not open for further replies.
My area has been filled with thousands of mosquitos, and once I also have made a multivibrator (two transistor based) which was oscillated to ultrasonic, and output connected to a small piezo buzzer. No one was repelled. They were landing on the circuit instead. :)
Maybe that is music to them...:)

I've always wondered if these bottle traps work? Has anyone tried these? Most of the comments suggest they don't work.

Shortbus,
Do you have plans for your Elephant repellent?

Mike.

I built an elephant repelling circuit that is working very good. Hasn't been an elephant in my yard since it was turned on.
Hi,
Any picture of your ultrasonic buzzer? Maybe the core thing is a ultrasonic buzzer, with efficient power to pinch the ears and hearing department of brain. I had used a tiny piece of piezo buzzer of hand watch to repel mosquito. :)

Hi,
Any picture of your ultrasonic buzzer? Maybe the core thing is a ultrasonic buzzer, with efficient power to pinch the ears and hearing department of brain. I had used a tiny piece of piezo buzzer of hand watch to repel mosquito. :)
A Piezo buzzer has a transistor oscillator in it and operates at the resonant frequency of about 3kHz from DC.
An audio piezo transducer (speaker) that uses an external oscillator also has audio resonances and works poorly or does not work at ultrasonic frequencies.
An ultrasonic transducer is completely different from the previous two types and is designed for ultrasonic frequencies.

Since an ultrasonic mosquito repeller cannot be heard then it uses a cheap audio transducer that does not produce ultrasonic frequencies.

You can make a lot of money by making elephant (tiger?) repellers and selling them to stupid people who buy ultrasonic mosquito repellers. You can show them photos of your yard that has no elephants (tigers?) in it.:)

Hello,

This thread is cute, and brings up a number of thoughts both funny and very serious about animal control.

First, i build the Elephant repeller too but then all my neighbors complained that they were all going into their yards now so i had to turn it off :)

Some of those chemical trick containers do work for some things, although i never tried it for mosquitoes. If the target species is attracted to the scent then they do go for it. They can find their way into small openings because of the scent, yet it is hard to find their way out because they have to search the whole top or side walls, and they do that usually by following it until they find an opening. If the shape is right, it will take them too long to find their way out and might get trapped in the liquid in the container at some point.

We have a little problem with flying creatures like moths and other little bugs. What works wonders is simple fly paper. They get stuck and that's it. If it works for mosquitoes though i dont know, as we mostly get other kinds of bugs. We can catch a whole fly strip full in a couple weeks just by keeping it near a light bulb that stays lit all night long. They get attracted to the light and land on the fly strip to rest and/or check out the light. Without the light there would be much much less success. So in this case it's the light, but a chemical scent would work for other types of bugs. For fruit flies i think it is apple cider vinegar.

We also had a problem with mice a while back too. I built a home made mouse catcher using a plastic shoe box. The shoe box lid was placed on the floor, and the shoe box over top with one end held up with a post and a solenoid. When the mouse went inside the box they would have to go to the back to get to the food, and that is where the plastic CD case was located. The case was held open with a relay contact, which opens when there is weight on the CD case top, and the relay contact opens which then releases the spring loaded solenoid, which then releases the box which then falls and traps the mouse inside. The top of the box is also weighted a little so it doesnt open too easy.
You cant leave them in there too long though because they can chew their way out in about an hour or two. Nice thing is, if they do happen to get away (none ever did because of the trap itself though) they come back in about an hour to try again :)
One did get away once but that was when i was transferring it into a large cage. They are very fast, and they bite deep with those sharp needle like teeth.

Long time ago we built an electronic fly zapper, but had trouble coaxing flies to go into the trap. These days they use pheromones to attract them.

A Piezo buzzer has a transistor oscillator in it and operates at the resonant frequency of about 3kHz from DC.
An audio piezo transducer (speaker) that uses an external oscillator also has audio resonances and works poorly or does not work at ultrasonic frequencies.
Oh yes, till now I doidn't cared the term buzzer and transducer. Maybe because till now I never seen buzzer. I knew that I have just 'transducer' (high z speaker) which are like a coin but very thin plate. In some sound system, I have seen the transducer used as a tweeeter too. Then my experiment was super flop to repel mosquitos.
An ultrasonic transducer is completely different from the previous two types and is designed for ultrasonic frequencies.
I have never seen such thing. Probably it's very efficient stuff, probably it's amazing to experiment and repel dogs etc.

Since an ultrasonic mosquito repeller cannot be heard then it uses a cheap audio transducer that does not produce ultrasonic frequencies. You can make a lot of money by making elephant (tiger?) repellers and selling them to stupid people who buy ultrasonic mosquito repellers. You can show them photos of your yard that has no elephants (tigers?) in it.:)
Hee hee hee probably a Chinese taught you such amazing and revolutionary business strategy! :D Unfortunately whole Nepal has few tigers, few elephant, few rhinos which are carefully conserved by the government. So if I repelled them, the government would repel me.

Once a Chinese was selling some amazing devices here. One was a tourch light, which was self charging by shaking it front and back. I bought it and used few weeks. I used to shake it daily before turning it ON. It had a cylinder body and there were two 3V button battery. To the cylinder body, there was a coil wound and inside the cylinder there was a magnet, which used to go front and back during shaking, making flux to the coil and charging the battery. After few other week, light started to go down (dim). I opened the tourch and found:

- coil was just 50/60 turns very thin copper wire and the wire was not insulated,
- two ends of coil were not connected anywhere,
- The magnet was just a piece of iron, and had zero percent magnet,
- button cell was not rechargable
:D :D

Ops.......how Chinese manufactures such HUGE fake thing professionally!

Last edited:
Do Chinese companies make fakes? You Tube has videos showing Chinese lithium batteries with flour inside.

I bought some cheap solar garden lights that are made in China. The ones that did not work were replaced by the store. Some of the ones that worked a little charged their Ni-MH AAA cell all day in the sun with their real glass (not cheap plastic) solar panels then lighted their LED for only an hour at night. I found some battery cells did not hold a charge and I found some of the solar panels delivered very low current so I assembled the bad parts and got these garden lights replaced again by the store.

Most of the garden lights have the electronic voltage stepup circuit as a Chip On Board (COB) and it works well but a few use a 4-pins single-in-line chip that draws too much current from the battery. Luckily they come apart easily in the store for me to see.
Most of the battery cells are labeled 300mAh but are only 100mAh or less when I test them. A few look the same and are labelled 600mAh but also measure about 100mAh.

Oh yes, till now I doidn't cared the term buzzer and transducer. Maybe because till now I never seen buzzer. I knew that I have just 'transducer' (high z speaker) which are like a coin but very thin plate. In some sound system, I have seen the transducer used as a tweeeter too. Then my experiment was super flop to repel mosquitos.

I have never seen such thing. Probably it's very efficient stuff, probably it's amazing to experiment and repel dogs etc.

Hee hee hee probably a Chinese taught you such amazing and revolutionary business strategy! :D Unfortunately whole Nepal has few tigers, few elephant, few rhinos which are carefully conserved by the government. So if I repelled them, the government would repel me.

Once a Chinese was selling some amazing devices here. One was a tourch light, which was self charging by shaking it front and back. I bought it and used few weeks. I used to shake it daily before turning it ON. It had a cylinder body and there were two 3V button battery. To the cylinder body, there was a coil wound and inside the cylinder there was a magnet, which used to go front and back during shaking, making flux to the coil and charging the battery. After few other week, light started to go down (dim). I opened the tourch and found:

- coil was just 50/60 turns very thin copper wire and the wire was not insulated,
- two ends of coil were not connected anywhere,
- The magnet was just a piece of iron, and had zero percent magnet,
- button cell was not rechargable
:D :D

Ops.......how Chinese manufactures such HUGE fake thing professionally!

Hi,

The "crank" type lights work a little better. I had a pretty nice one but the battery (li-ion) went bad, so i replaced it. Several months later it went bad again, so i turned the crank light into a crank generator by removing the battery :)
Now i can use it with whatever circuit i want to use it with, like a good quality li-ion cell and little LED. The problem with the crank light was that the battery had to be too small (large button size) so it could not take the repeated use.
A larger cell (which wont fit in the body of the light) will work better.

Do Mosquito Repellent circuit work or not !..
I don't know, but it will repel beautiful women very effectively. So will any other circuit, but that's just because they don't like us building circuits and would much prefer that we bring them flowers.

Hello Steve,

Interesting that you should bring that up, because mosquitoes would also prefer that we bring them flowers, as they drink the flower nectar.
So there is a possibility that flowers will attract more mosquitoes.

garlic eat smash it it will work quaratee also benefit your earth a winner for sure. unpleasent to some
An engineer Dick Cappels (member here in the ETO) said- He heared that eating and puting garlic around the body skin will repel the mosquitos. He did as he heared but his wife was repelled instead of mosquitos.

Today at a store I saw "ultrasonic rodent repellers". They were very small and cost two for $25.00. They plug into a mains electricity outlet. They would probably repel dogs too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back