Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you have abandoned projects?

schmitt trigger

Most Helpful Member
During my over 50 years of electronics both as a profession and as a hobby, I have designed and built countless projects. With very limited occasions, where the project's budget has spiraled out of control or is taking way too long, I always complete my projects. Even if my original estimations proved to be too optimistic, or if the actual performance doesn't meet expectations, I complete the projects. After all, one gains more experience from difficult projects than the ones that work on the first attempt.

Nowadays however, I am on my third abandoned project on this year. After struggling with the troubleshooting or the assembly, I simply lose interest. Since this is a hobby, which is supposed to be a pleasurable endeavor, I don't pressure myself to complete it.
This doesn't mean that ideas don't keep coming, they do and plenty. I look at datasheets, search on the internet, fill my booklet with sketches. But right now I have imposed on myself a "project freeze" until I come out of this lethargy.

Have you suffered such a syndrome?
PLEASE NOTE: I have also posted this question on another forum.

Hi S,
The first part of my life had many ideas and not many finishes, until I decided: don't start a project unless you finish it.
5 or 6 years ago I started a project (here) and received so much help along the way, that I feel obligated to finish it, and it's still not finished. o_O

C.

I like you have more unfinished projects than I would like.
1. A rear viewing camera with LCD display on mirror
2, An old Force feedback steering wheel from Logitech that needs just a simple TTL to RS232 inversion and unknown bit rate and protocol drivers for kids to use.
3. A garage and basement full of tools, lasers, 20k 5mm uber-bright surplus LEDs, rock/fish finder units, gigabit modems,
4. But with 7 drives on Win 7 I have more apps than I can remember and now my OTA digital TV to router has no RF signals
5. But we can binge watch any TV series/ movies in theatre from my computer to a IMAX like experience on a big screen up close. and if bored can still use another screen to do work/play/DM
6. I can forget my own phone number occasionally but still remember all the pin #'s on many old SSI CMOS IC's when I used to debug a dozen problems a day with marked up drawings back in my SCADA/Telemetry/Aerospace/ Nuclear Eddy current inspection robot days. Now problems seem so trivial.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back