Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY hot air Pencil - 8 easy steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosaic

Hi all:

I built a hot air pencil last nite and it works extremely well. I use it for SMD soldering.

I am sharing the approach in this thread.

Basically I started with an el cheapo...40W soldering station. Been using it about a year and it's great.

**broken link removed**

For the air I used this:
Amazon.com: Tetra Whisper Air Pump 10 Gal Tank: Home & Garden

The great thing is the MOD allows u to use the regular tips or hot air as u wish! No loss of functionality.

Step 1: Drill a shallow 1/8" hole into the plastic body to fit a Hose Tee fitting, this Tee is regular aquarium air tubing Tee. Locate the hole at the end of the rubber sleeve..or about 2" from where the plastic grip joins the metal tube heater. This is to allow your thumb to control the air flow by easily blocking one side of the Tee or not. Thus forcing air thru the iron or not. Adjust the angle of the tee (twist it) to suit your thumb.

Step 2: using JB weld seal up all the vents and seams where the metal tube joins the housing.

Step 3: After verifying your thumb control action on the TEE, JB weld it into place.

Step 4: Get a metal tip disposable pen (faber Castle) and salvage the metal cone tip.
Grind out the threads inside the cone with a Dremel and ensure it easily slips over the tip of the soldering Iron threads.

Step 5: Apply plumbers teflon thread seal to soldering iron threads, pulling it across the open tip hole to protect it.

Step 6: coat the teflon threads ONLY with JBweld. Slip on the Metal cone and stand vertically to set overnight.

Next Day:

7) Unscrew the metal cone (with a pliers) and remove excess teflon tape. This is your hot air tip.

8) Get about 1.5" by 0.75" of copper foil....the stiff kind they use to make radiator fins.
Roll this concentrically to fit inside the IRON metal tube, but use a toothpick to make sure the concentric rolls are spaced from each other, like how the jam in a swiss roll spaces the cake. This optimises heat xfer to the air. Slide this 'spaced" roll into the iron. Screw on your tip and turn on the iron to max 40W.

Get to soldering.

I do lead-free solder easily with this. No hot plate required. I flex my thumb to block the TEE vent and force air when I want it..i can even throttle the air flow that way.

To return to regular iron tip use...remove the copper roll with a tweezer and insert your regular tip.

This is so much better than trying to place a 603 part while trying to tack it by contact with the iron tip & solder wire and adjust it if it gets shifted all at once.

Now I apply a tiny dot of solder to the bare copper pads. Then place the part while melting both pads with the hot air. Then press the part flat with the tweezer tip with the hot air on it. I get much nicer fillets now. Plus I don't use up solder in tinning the tips every 5 minutes. Also the part is evenly heated...reduces stress cracks in ceramic/glass parts.
My solder consumption is down by 50% due to no tinning.

cool

It looks easy, but difficult to do by hand.
If you show me the pic of every step, i think it will be easier.

It is easy....all you are really doing is sealing up the hollow soldering pencil and attaching aquarium tubing via an aquarium Tee into a 1/8" hole. Making the Tip and stuffing the foil is a small matter.
I'll organise some pics soon...had too much fun soldering smd parts while testing. Imagine...fun doing SMD by hand...lol.

Whistling whilst waiting..for the pics, that is. ;)

I would like to see some results, figure i gotta go shopping, I would like to see if the tool adaptations are worthwhile.

Did a quik hack fix on the tool tip. I cut down a regular copper spade tip to about .75" and drilled it thru with a 1/16" bit to make a hollow point tip. A permanent tip now. the JB weld started to crumble under high tip temps thus loosening the pretty cone tip I had.

In terms of solder paste use...I have found it much faster to slap a dab on several smd pads, melt it into a fresh coat on the pads, while holding a smd resistor ready, place the resistor with tweezers on the fresh solder and reflow. That way u get a very strong reflow joint and u can be sure there's no solder bridges or stray beads formed. With the hot air u can simultaneously reflow both pads with a resistor, diode or cap. For an IC i'd do that for the corner pad to 'fix' it and then run paste across all the pins and melt...allow the solder to wick and all's good, no bridges, solid fillets.

This approach allows u to 'fix' the part alignment and release and then let the solder freeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back