Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Clock on Breadboard (Circuit diagram Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
a sundial would be far more accurate than a 555anddoes not slip10 30 minutes a month

the time base should be 1part per million error max or 1ppm in a XtalOsc for $1

how about an analog clock with LEDs?

1 secfrom /60
1m from next /60
1 hr from next /12
am/pm from next /2
multiply all these andthatbecomes your timebase
choose32kHz osc or similar to divide to timebase clock.

use Johnson counters (bunch) to drive LEDs directly using R's from each output so second+minute is twice as bright rather than separate LEDs. and hour +minute+second is 30mA. using 12V 300ohm driver from Johnson counters andR=620Ohms to Red LEDs or 560Ohms to Blue or White LEDs
Use smaller R's for minute and then smaller for hour for brighter indication. Choose >=50mA LEDs or increase R ratios. Temporary exceed suggested currents by 50% are ok for 1 sec, but not in direct sun. So further calc for R needed depending on selections of LEDs then buffers are needed for Johnson counters.

-choose SMT reelfor LEDs equally spaced in a circle cutting between LEDs to make arc andusing AWG 30 wire to solder to each isolated cut tracks on reelfor LEDs with a daisy-chained ground for each cathode (-) or use discrete >6000 mcd LEDs.

-cover front with tinted plastic or glass, so only the light is visible and not the wiring. frame with wood, or cosmetic material.

this primitive design will need at least a dozen chips but easy to figure out.use external DC jack for 12V power.

Make it big enough to be visible from outside (water tight) for a long a distance as needed. It can run from solar panel with 12V battery too.

Two weeks ago, I helped my brother with modern LEDs for a truck model. I was surprised: with just 1mA they were shining brightly. I started to consider them for something as the above.

Yes with 10 to 20Cd 5 mm LED at 20mA is blinding up close and at 5% If , or 1mA , it is adequate for most. Considering 5% of 20Cd is 1000mcd which is still 100x brighter than avg. 1985 LEDs

Potatoes...Favorite are Charlotte , At this latitude we plant in March / April , cover with fleece in May, harvest in late June, eat immediately:happy: ! Clocks ... Can't have too many this one waters my greenhouse tomatoes, favorite are Marmande, between 09:00 and 18:00 every 3 hrs ( prog in EE ) Its a PIC24FV16KA302, 12v 3.2A battery lasts a couple of months between charge , MOSFET switches a bilge pump .

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 153
you're smart granddad, some rookies try to design a SMPS to drive 2Hz.cycle Gulper water pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back