Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital Clock on Breadboard (Circuit diagram Needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fosterzone

Hi.

Iam a student and I need some really serious help. I have been googling all day long but couldn't find a proper digital clock circuit diagram with 7 segment that I could implement on breadboard.

Basically I want to use Cathode 7 segment to design this. Any help will boost me a lot to finish this university project.

Do you want to use a clock IC?(IC has all the counters to display hours,minutes,and seconds)It may need drivers for the displays depending upon the displays.
Or do you want to use a microprocessor for the clock?

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

No i dont need Clock IC, I have to create my own IC with the help of counter, 7 segment IC, and timer.

Can you help?

CLOCK actually means very little. AM/PM , 24 Hr, 4 digits, 6 digits

It's basically Modulo 60 counters with some difficulties doing th 12:59 to 1:00 transition and less doing the 23:59 to 00:00 transition.

i made a counter with CD4026 once. This IC holds a counter and display driver.
With CD4017 (decade counter) you can make the divide-by-60 counter.
is this a direction to go?
examples:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

regards, bill

Do you call project just building something designed by somebody else? Is that for an university? Really?

The OP said done a search for digtal clock ......? I guess its the age we live in why learn when you can google. and then ETO.... :facepalm:

Beginning to wonder if I'm on the right forum ... Actually a digital clock on vero board was one my first projects lots of TTL SN7474 , 7400 and 7447 decoders It cost £££ and I'm still building clocks 40 years on !

Hi.

I have 74160 counter ic 555 timer and cathode seven segment. Can any one P ase give me a circuit diagram to follow. It would help me a lot.

74160 and a 555 :( could be turned into a clock , but ott for a university student You really need to follow the links above... here is another
**broken link removed** not a clock but how to count / display in BCD , put pencil to paper and show us what you have .

Beginning to wonder if I'm on the right forum ... Actually a digital clock on vero board was one my first projects lots of TTL SN7474 , 7400 and 7447 decoders It cost £££ and I'm still building clocks 40 years on !

Sorry granddad, but maybe you should build one that works so you finally can move on to something else. :p :D

BTW, is there an actual "season" for spuds? Being a perennial plant I believe there isn't.

BTW, is there an actual "season" for spuds? Being a perennial plant I believe there isn't.
Way back when... My father ran a small shop leading out of Corby... There was a time in spring when oodles of coaches off spud picking ( made tons of money)... But It was only in the spring!!

a sundial would be far more accurate than a 555anddoes not slip10 30 minutes a month

the time base should be 1part per million error max or 1ppm in a XtalOsc for $1

how about an analog clock with LEDs?

1 secfrom /60
1m from next /60
1 hr from next /12
am/pm from next /2
multiply all these andthatbecomes your timebase
choose32kHz osc or similar to divide to timebase clock.

use Johnson counters (bunch) to drive LEDs directly using R's from each output so second+minute is twice as bright rather than separate LEDs. and hour +minute+second is 30mA. using 12V 300ohm driver from Johnson counters andR=620Ohms to Red LEDs or 560Ohms to Blue or White LEDs
Use smaller R's for minute and then smaller for hour for brighter indication. Choose >=50mA LEDs or increase R ratios. Temporary exceed suggested currents by 50% are ok for 1 sec, but not in direct sun. So further calc for R needed depending on selections of LEDs then buffers are needed for Johnson counters.

-choose SMT reelfor LEDs equally spaced in a circle cutting between LEDs to make arc andusing AWG 30 wire to solder to each isolated cut tracks on reelfor LEDs with a daisy-chained ground for each cathode (-) or use discrete >6000 mcd LEDs.

-cover front with tinted plastic or glass, so only the light is visible and not the wiring. frame with wood, or cosmetic material.

this primitive design will need at least a dozen chips but easy to figure out.use external DC jack for 12V power.

Make it big enough to be visible from outside (water tight) for a long a distance as needed. It can run from solar panel with 12V battery too.

Last edited:
I keep around maybe 10 or 15 alarm clocks that went out of use for varied resons, The last time I looked, there were many of them using the same IC generating a 1 (or 2) seconds pulse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back