Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Development - driving VGA monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

millwood

Banned
I thought that there may be some interest in driving VGA monitors with a mcu. My motivation is to use those monitors to display analog signals digitized by a MCU.

so I thought to set out and see if we can collectively write something about it.

I think in the end, it will need a very fast processor to achieve adequate horizontal resolutions but for development purposes, i will do it on a pic using picc/tide. we can always port the code to something faster (like an ARM7 chip).

I started working on it and quickly confirmed my fear: you will need an extremely mcu to reach any respectable horizontal resolution.

the pic does 1 instruction per 1us. the horizontal timing of vga is about 32us, 25us for the viewable area so in maximum we can execute 25 instruction each line.

I compiled my code (see below) in TIDE and in the disassembly window, each "bit" takes 20 instructions. In other words, by the time I finish drawing one bit, I am done. so I will have a horizontal resolution of 1. not cool at all.

here is the rough code in case others want to persue it.

Code:
#include <htc.h>

//hardware configuration
#define R		GPIO0				//red on GPIO0
#define G		GPIO1				//green on gpio1
#define B		GPIO2				//blue on gpio2
#define HSync	GPIO4				//hsync on gpio4
#define VSync	GPIO5				//vsync on gpio5
//end hardware configuration

//macros

//function declaration
void mcu_init(void);	//initialize the mcu;

//global variables
//1-bit colors for now
#define RED			0b00000001		//red is 0th bit
#define GREEN		0b00000010		//green is the 1st bit
#define BLUE		0b00000100		//BLUE is the 2nd bit
#define CLR_MASK	RED|GREEN|BLUE	//port mask used to set the output, value depends on hardware configuration. only the bits set to 1 will be changed.
#define BLACK		0b00000000		//black is nothing
#define H_Res		8		//horizontal resolution
#define V_Res		1		//vertical resolution, set at 1 for now.
const char Vid_RAM[V_Res][H_Res] = {		//display ram
		{RED, GREEN, BLUE, RED|GREEN, RED|BLUE, GREEN|BLUE, RED|GREEN|BLUE, BLACK}
		};

void mcu_init(void) {			//initialize the mcu

}

void
main(void)
{
	int h_index, v_index;		//horizontal and vertical indexes;
	char GPIO_VandH;			//GPIO's VSync and HSync bits;
	mcu_init();
	VSync=0;					//Vsync is normally low;
	HSync=0;					//Hsync is normally low;
	while (1){
		//TODO Auto-generated main function
		for (v_index=0; v_index<V_Res*0+200; v_index++){		//one line at a time, v_index should reach V_res but for now, we will try to just repeat the same line
			for (h_index=0; h_index<H_Res; h_index++) {			//now, generate each line
				GPIO = Vid_RAM[0][h_index];						//output video ram's content
			}
			HSync=1;			//send the hsync signal;
			NOP();
			NOP();
			NOP();
			HSync=0;			//reset the hsync signal;
		}
		VSync=1;				//send the VSync signal;
		NOP();					//may need more nop;
		VSync=0;				//reset the Vsync signal;
	}
}

ronsimpson: that's one interesting device. coupled with the base board it would have been a perfect solution, if not for the rs232 interface. I wonder if the SPI mode works - that would have allowed a much faster conversation between the graphics card and the mcu.

Jason: if it does take 20 cycles to execute one "pixel", to reach a 480 pixel on a line, you need to execute 10,000 cycles in 25us. or about 2.5ns per cycle. that equates to a pic running at 160mhz, :).

obviously, you can optimize the code to reduce the number of cycles per line but looks like a FPGA solution is the way to go there.

Maybe a SHARC DSP running at 600 MHz or so would have a chance.

I started working on it and quickly confirmed my fear: you will need an extremely mcu to reach any respectable horizontal resolution.

It depends exactly what you're trying to do?, check the PICLIST where there's a VERY old design for an audio spectrum analyser that does FFT and directly drives a VGA monitor using an old 17 series PIC.

Jason, the program I was writting is capable of 8 bit color (3 bits each for two colors and 2 bits for the 3rd color, identical to that sparkfun module). it could also go to 480 pixels horizontally, with a fast enough mcu.

I looked only at the 16f84 one and it has one bit (green) color output, and it has 26 horizontal pixels.

Eric's model has 52 instructions per line - so I am not sure if he is running his chip 2x as fast or he was working on a non-vga monitor - looks like he was running on CGA which is 240 horizontally.

Craft's model does 6 bits of colors. I couldn't go through craft's files - the formating is messed up on my computer. but the horizontal resolution appears to be low.

I think programming in C for this purpose is pushing the limit of the mcu.

It depends exactly what you're trying to do?, check the PICLIST where there's a VERY old design for an audio spectrum analyser that does FFT and directly drives a VGA monitor using an old 17 series PIC.

that's also a 3bits design: one bit each for three colors. the source files talked about finishing a line in 169 cycles so the horizontal resolution couldn't have been more than 169 pixels.

Last time I used a FPGA. It it eazy to hit 100m pix/sec.

The first time I did this I needed to move data very fast for that CPU (8051). I used the POP instruction to move 2-8 bit numbers from memory to video. I made hardward to capture data during the POP instructions. (POP= move byte1, move byte2 and inc pointer by 2)

"takes 20 instructions" Why 20? That seems slow.

I have used DMA and an ARM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back