Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

delay circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpp

i need to design a circuit that starts its operation on pressing a push button.it should have 3 led's.when push button is pressed 1st led should glow.after 10 sec delay 1st and second should both glow.after another 10 sec 2nd and 3rd should golw but 1st should turn off.after 10 more sec 2nd and 3rd should turn off

Ok. You could do this quite easily with a microcontroller, but since you haven't already done so I'm guessing you're not familiar with the use/programming of microcontrollers?
In that case I recommend you do some research on state machines. You'll also want to design a 0.1hz clock to use for your 10 second delay. How you go about designing the clock system depends on how accurate the 10 second delay needs to be. If it only needs to be roughly 10 seconds then personally I would use a 555 timer to provide a 1hz output and then feed this into a counter to divide it down to 0.1hz.

Have a look at all of that and, if at any time you're confused or unsure, come back with your questions.

Brian

kpp said:
i need to design a circuit that starts its operation on pressing a push button.it should have 3 led's.when push button is pressed 1st led should glow.after 10 sec delay 1st and second should both glow.after another 10 sec 2nd and 3rd should golw but 1st should turn off.after 10 more sec 2nd and 3rd should turn off

hi,
Is this what you are asking?

If yes, then you require a 555 timer [10sec] a HEF4017 ic,HEF4093 ic and two diodes.

Do you follow that, look up the details on the devices and post a circuit.

Last edited:
kpp said:
i need to design it using hardware. not a software program

What is the circuit used for?, what does it represent?,, Why [school]?

Nigel Goodwin said:
Because he said "i need to design it using hardware" - so it's presumably not a practical application, but an educational one.

Thanks, I'm a quick study;)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Because he said "i need to design it using hardware" - so it's presumably not a practical application, but an educational one.

Would you consider a hardware design that works, less practical than a software design that works? From a hobbyist's perspective?

If your answer to that is yes, then pretend for a minute that you've no experience of Microcontrollers. Perhaps then this would be a good time to gain some, but would your answer still be the same?

Brian

Please find attached a part solution to your problem. It's certainly not the most economical of solutions, but it will work. The solution in my attachment is only for the required LED pattern - you still need to come up with a suitable clock system for it all, and you need a way of stopping the clock once A and B both = logic 1. When your push button is pressed the 2-bit counter needs to be reset, and the clock should be allowed to start again until A and B = logic 1, when it should stop. This process is then repeated over and over as many times as you push the button!

Please be aware that the push button in my circuit is NOT supposed to represent the push button in your description of the problem - I used it to simulate a clock so that I could test the LED pattern in multisim. It should be emitted from your design (assuming you use this one) and replaced with your clock / latch system.

Brian

----- edit -----

The website didn't accept my attachment because it was above 19KB!!!! Give me your email, I'll send the Word document with the circuit in it to you.

Last edited:
ThermalRunaway said:
Please find attached a part solution to your problem. It's certainly not the most economical of solutions, but it will work. The solution in my attachment is only for the required LED pattern - you still need to come up with a suitable clock system for it all, and you need a way of stopping the clock once A and B both = logic 1. When your push button is pressed the 2-bit counter needs to be reset, and the clock should be allowed to start again until A and B = logic 1, when it should stop. This process is then repeated over and over as many times as you push the button!

Please be aware that the push button in my circuit is NOT supposed to represent the push button in your description of the problem - I used it to simulate a clock so that I could test the LED pattern in multisim. It should be emitted from your design (assuming you use this one) and replaced with your clock / latch system.

Brian

----- edit -----

The website didn't accept my attachment because it was above 19KB!!!! Give me your email, I'll send the Word document with the circuit in it to you.

hi Brian,

Which type of file extension did you use? the 19KB

ThermalRunaway said:
I tried to post a .doc (word document). Apparently that type of file has a limit of 19.5KB, mine was 28KB.

Brian

hi Brian,
In the past, I have had to zip up files, I think the zipped size limit is over 9MByte

Good plan Eric thanks. Only trouble is I don't have a .zip archiver - I use .rar and that file type isn't supported!

I have renamed the original word file as a .zip so that I can attach it. If anyone downloads it, make sure you rename it to .doc afterwards!!!

Moderators: If this is naughty, tell me and I won't do it again!

Brian

Attachments

• One possible part solution.zip
    29 KB · Views: 172
ThermalRunaway said:
Good plan Eric thanks. Only trouble is I don't have a .zip archiver - I use .rar and that file type isn't supported!

I have renamed the original word file as a .zip so that I can attach it. If anyone downloads it, make sure you rename it to .doc afterwards!!!

Moderators: If this is naughty, tell me and I won't do it again!

Brian

hi Brian,

Look here: https://www.izarc.org/

ericgibbs said:
What is the circuit used for?, what does it represent?,, Why [school]?
its just a school project which we have to design n then do it practically in the lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back