Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #3: Best 555 Timer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Images - The schematic. No hand drawings." Which leads to a question. This suggests the contestant can't post charts or diagrams to help flesh out the circuit in theory of operation, even computer generated ones. Can you make an exception in these cases? Or should we plan on "sneaking" charts/diagrams into the schematic?
kenjj

The competition requirements are a minimum. You must have a schematic with your project however, you can also have any number of other images such as charts, diagrams, just so long as they are not hand drawn. We have the restriction of no hand drawings because in the past they can be hard to read and can get misinterpreted.

Ok, my design has been submitted. Hope mine isn't the only one! Let's get busy, guys!

Ok, my design has been submitted. Hope mine isn't the only one! Let's get busy, guys!

Mine is still in progress. I have to juggle working on it with school work and study. I have 4 of 5 blocks done and then I need to do sims and a writeup.

Out of curiosity, how many entries have there been thus far?

0 confirmed

:(

Come on peeps!

Hmm, that is disappointing. Maybe as an incentive you could offer a trophy icon near the users name. Something like
**broken link removed**
You would be surprised what people will do for special honors like a unique identifier.
Just trying to think of ways to get peeps to enter.

Last edited:
Hi Mike, yes already planned. Just like the Forum Sponsor identifiers, their will be a "winner", and "runner up" icon associated with their accounts..

At the moment you and BrownOut are the only ones lined up ;) You got to enter to be in to win! And hey, there is still lots of time left :)

Regards,
EM

Last edited:
The winning entry and the runner-up will probably be simply copied from one of the many 555 tutorials. Then it is not a contest.

The winning entry and the runner-up will probably be simply copied from one of the many 555 tutorials. Then it is not a contest.

My approach was not to re-invent the wheel, rather I am using basic 555 building blocks in a unique way. My 555 circuits are off the shelf but I hope my implementation sets the circuit apart. But good point and I may be hosed if my thinking is wrong.

The winning entry and the runner-up will probably be simply copied from one of the many 555 tutorials.

I will try to mitigate this as much as possible by reading the entries thoroughly, and comparing the level of ability demonstrated to the level shown from the members' posts within the forum.

Their are now 2 entries successfully submitted from BrownOut and QuietMan.

On a side note, please keep this thread to questions about entries and the rules. I have cleaned it up and removed some posts that were drifting away from the actual topic.

On a side note, please keep this thread to questions about entries and the rules. I have cleaned it up and removed some posts that were drifting away from the actual topic.

By posting other ideas, my only intent was to stimulate interest in the contest so that others may make submissions. I was hoping to increase participation.

I hope that I can come up with something to participate in this contest, just to participate, but one question EM, what's wrong with CMOS 555? Those all what I had.

Hi,

I cant wait to see the outcomes of this contest...the various circuit ideas. I would be willing to supply some post-analysis if that would make it more interesting too.

Hi,

I cant wait to see the outcomes of this contest...the various circuit ideas. I would be willing to supply some post-analysis if that would make it more interesting too.

Why not enter instead :)

Last edited:
I wrote an app note/program a month ago for commercial outfit's PIC-controlled Simon Board that programmed it to play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" when the lights went low. This of course used the LDR (Light Detecting Resistor) onboard to monitor the light level and determine when to start. It dawned on me that this prank circuit could be done on a simpler level (go from inaudible high frequency to audible sound) with a 555, using an LDR once again. And it seemed like this may have been done already. So I Googled for this circuit and found:
**broken link removed**
Look at the first circuit at the top of the page.
This is my circuit in a nut shell. It's all right there. NOW, this is a grey area for me/us. Is it legal to start with this circuit, where I redraw the schematic using components and their values in my parts bin, and submit it? I could expand on the theory of operation, show oscilloscope traces, take pictures of the breadboard with the final circuit... but is it legal? All I'm doing is expanding on the other guy's original circuit.
In short: Just about every idea has been largely done before. What makes it legal for this competition if the basic circuit already exists?
kenjj

I wrote an app note/program a month ago for commercial outfit's PIC-controlled Simon Board that programmed it to play "Mary Had A Little Lamb" when the lights went low. This of course used the LDR (Light Detecting Resistor) onboard to monitor the light level and determine when to start. It dawned on me that this prank circuit could be done on a simpler level (go from inaudible high frequency to audible sound) with a 555, using an LDR once again. And it seemed like this may have been done already. So I Googled for this circuit and found:
**broken link removed**
Look at the first circuit at the top of the page.
This is my circuit in a nut shell. It's all right there. NOW, this is a grey area for me/us. Is it legal to start with this circuit, where I redraw the schematic using components and their values in my parts bin, and submit it? I could expand on the theory of operation, show oscilloscope traces, take pictures of the breadboard with the final circuit... but is it legal? All I'm doing is expanding on the other guy's original circuit.
In short: Just about every idea has been largely done before. What makes it legal for this competition if the basic circuit already exists?
kenjj

Yes it is legal and yes it would be fine to do that.

OK, my submission has been submitted...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back