Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #3: Best 555 Timer Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
This competition is relatively simply and anybody can do it. It's fun too!

Objective

Using only the components below you must build a circuit which uses standard (not the CMOS) 555 Timer IC. The 555 must be the main operation of the circuit. You must also give a description of the circuit and a theory of operation.

Usable Parts and components

The circuit itself can only contain the following:

• 555 Timer (standard version and not CMOS)
  • Resisitors (any number)
  • Capacitors (any number)
  • Diodes (any number)
  • Transistors (any number)
  • Output Components (Any type of LEDs, Lights, speakers, Displays, Relays, Motors etc)

If you have a part that you think may or may not be allowed please PM me.

Prizes

1# $40 Voucher
2# $20 Voucher
3# $10 Voucher

Judging

This competition is judged by the moderators. The judging will be based on the circuits creative functionality, your understanding of the circuit, and the quality of the presentation.

Submissions

Entries can be submitted by email, simply send your entry to electromaster@electro-tech-online.com before 25th July 2010 (1 month from now) and you will be entered into the competition. The subject of the email should be "Contest Entry For Electro Tech". Things to include in the email are:

Contact Information - Forum Username, Real name and Postal Address.
Documentation - Project Title, Project Overview, Theory of Operation, Bill of Materials, Comments/Notes.
Images - The schematic. No hand drawings.

Please double check your work before sending it in. This is very important because you will be allowed one revision. That means if you send it in with mistakes and wish to correct them you only have one chance.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Can more than one 555 be used, or is it just 1?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Are transformers considered an output device?

I imagine some clever solutions can be made with this contest. I am putting my thinking cap on, should be fun. :)

To do something novel is the hard part.

Last edited:
I hope the winners don't simply copy one of the many tutorials of the 555.
A guy on another forum has been making a tutorial and posting bits of it for years.

What about input components like push buttons?

Push Buttons are allowed. Most simple inputs (and outputs) area are allowed. What is not allowed are things like microchips, separate circuits, etc. I'm sure there is a better way to explain (its way too late) :/

I hope the winners don't simply copy one of the many tutorials of the 555. A guy on another forum has been making a tutorial and posting bits of it for years.

This is why the Theory of Operation is apart of the judging.

I hope the winners don't simply copy one of the many tutorials of the 555.
A guy on another forum has been making a tutorial and posting bits of it for years.

Gee guy, Thanks!

I might enter the contest without actually entering, just a comparison entry if you will. While I'm not a professional, I'm not an amateur either.

The 555 Projects

I have a list of future projects for this series I might pick from, and with a dead line it will get finished much sooner. I tend to get stuck halfway through due to boredom.

Last edited:
Who are the judges?
How many entries are allowed?

From EM's original post.

Judging

This competition is judged by the moderators. The judging will be based on the circuits creative functionality, your understanding of the circuit, and the quality of the presentation.

Last edited:
I might enter the contest without actually entering, just a comparison entry if you will.

By all means do enter. You would be the first entrant - nobody has entered yet so its an easy game!!

How many entries are allowed?

Limit it to just one per person please.

One more question. Once we submit our design and documentation, will it be made public? I would rather share whatever I do with the public whether it is a winner or not. If it stays private I think I would choose not to enter...:)

OK< you want I should do it like I do at AAC? I tend to use the posts to write in, it is my word processor, and store the images my posts and display them as illustrations where appropriate. Or I can do this at the AAC site (I'm comfortable there, and know all the bell and whistles). Your choice.

You can look at that link to the 555 projects I gave to see what I mean.

This will be going into the AAC text book (AKA Lessons in Electric Circuits) eventually as one of the sections.

One more question. Once we submit our design and documentation, will it be made public? I would rather share whatever I do with the public whether it is a winner or not. If it stays private I think I would choose not to enter...:)

I was going to ask the same thing. I read the result from an earlier comp, and the documentation wasn't posted (unless I missed it somewhere) I would hope that at least the winner and second, third places, etc will be posted.

PS: I have an old circuit that I designed for another member months ago. I will submit it, but I'd rather come up with something new, if I get the time. Otherwise, I'll write up the older one and submit it.

Last edited:

Yes, all entries will be places in the Circuits section. The winning circuits will be marked as a competition winner.

OK< you want I should do it like I do at AAC? I tend to use the posts to write in, it is my word processor, and store the images my posts and display them as illustrations where appropriate. Or I can do this at the AAC site (I'm comfortable there, and know all the bell and whistles). Your choice.

If you send me the details to electromaster@electro-tech-online.com I will consider it an official entry :)

I have an old circuit that I designed for another member months ago. I will submit it, but I'd rather come up with something new, if I get the time. Otherwise, I'll write up the older one and submit it.

Great stuff BrownOut, Am looking forward to your entry.

Last edited:
"Images - The schematic. No hand drawings."

Which leads to a question.
This suggests the contestant can't post charts or diagrams to help flesh out the circuit in theory of operation, even computer generated ones. Can you make an exception in these cases? Or should we plan on "sneaking" charts/diagrams into the schematic?
Neat contest, BTW. I have seen posts suggesting things like the 555 is a useless device when 8-pin MCUs (microcontrollers) are available. But while you can still experiment with 555s on a simple breadboard, most MCUs demand you have a programmer and compiler available to make it work like the 555. And learning how to use a 555 is a damn sight faster than the MCU!
Hmmm. Where did I last see that pulse delay circuit diagram... ?
kenjj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back