Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #1: Most Imaginative Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't quite see - when are the results out???
When can we see the entries???
super keen!!!

@mashersmasher
Entries are too remain anonymous. Send a PM to ElectroMaster regarding your question.

Members are to judge entries on merit, not who they belong to. Please do share the identity of your entry with others.

3v0 - contest moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
@mashersmasher
Entries are too remain anonymous. Send a PM to ElectroMaster regarding your question.

Members are to judge entries on merit, not who they belong to. Please do share the identity of your entry with others.

3v0 - contest moderator
Please do not :p

where is my entry displayed??

Entry successfully received from rjvh.

Hi I just looked to all entrys for the competition which i submitted also a design for it, and i can't find it back on the site for people to vote on it

is there a explanation for not posting the entry

if it is rejected i do prefer to know the reason why

Robert-Jan

Horray!
My voted one is winning and the lousy one is losing.
The others are good but are not excellent and are not lousy.

Horray!
My voted one is winning and the lousy one is losing.
The others are good but are not excellent and are not lousy.

I can guess that you're joking, but looks like it wasn't your good ones..
and that's because there are no lousy entries, all are winners. Out of so many users visiting everyday the forums, only five had something to post and you talk about winning and losing?!

i respect you and your opinion and you're very helpful member..but i don't agree with you.

I can guess that you're joking, but looks like it wasn't your good ones..
and that's because there are no lousy entries, all are winners. Out of so many users visiting everyday the forums, only five had something to post and you talk about winning and losing?!

i respect you and your opinion and you're very helpful member..but i don't agree with you.

That's very nice and warm and fuzzy, but it's also silly. Have you looked at some of the entries? There are at least two which are in no way "winners", unless just entering is enough to "win"--which means that having a competition is pointless in the first place.

Competitions are to encourage people to improve themselves to become good enough to win. If all that is needed to win is to enter the race then there is no impetus to improve.

Torben

i don't agree with you.
I didn't enter the competition, I voted on it.
I voted "YES" for the winning good one and I voted "NO" to the losing lousy one.
Many other members voted the same as me so I guess you also disagree with them too.

I think it's pretty obvious that the competition has flopped really badly, after all the requests for a competition, which we kept simple and cheap so everyone could enter, there have been hardly any entries - most of which are barely worthy of the name :(

I suspect the majority of people asking for a competition just wanted to enter a previous project they had already completed, rather than create a project to enter.

That's very nice and warm and fuzzy, but it's also silly. Have you looked at some of the entries? There are at least two which are in no way "winners", unless just entering is enough to "win"--which means that having a competition is pointless in the first place.

Competitions are to encourage people to improve themselves to become good enough to win. If all that is needed to win is to enter the race then there is no impetus to improve.

Torben

Torben you think it's easy to be innovative and come up with good ideas?
afterall what is good idea? something which is for you gargabe..maybe for someone else
is the answer for a problem :)

[EDIT]

@Audioguru i'm commenting only your post and not where you gave your votes and why.

Last edited:
Perhaps one of the "problems" is the difficulty in differentiating between "originality" and perceived "usefulness."

Given the restrictions on the contest, I am not surprised that perhaps the most original, mainly electronic submission is deemed by some to be lousy or useless. If it works for its intended purpose, that is all that should matter.

Transistors have been around for a long time, and it is fairly simple to find and to modify slightly a well known circuit. In fact, it may be more useful, but does that make it the most original?

If there is another contest, I hope the judging will be more objective and/or quantitative than subjective. While there is something to be said about elections, I am less convinced they are effective at finding the best. Just look at the current and past successes we have had in choosing US Presidents.

John

Torben you think it's easy to be innovative and come up with ideas?

No, and that's not what I said. It's easy to enter the competition, but only a couple of the entries are at all innovative or interesting ideas. Sticking an LED on a piece of wire is not innovative or interesting.

Entering the competition is easy. Submitting a good entry is hard. Entering the competition should not be rewarded; submitting a good entry should be. That's all.

Torben

No, and that's not what I said. It's easy to enter the competition, but only a couple of the entries are at all innovative or interesting ideas. Sticking an LED on a piece of wire is not innovative or interesting.

Entering the competition is easy. Submitting a good entry is hard. Entering the competition should not be rewarded; submitting a good entry should be. That's all.

Torben

ok Torben... i'm not going to try convince you for anything..(meaning i'm not answering about this anymore) just read what jpanhalt said few posts above and also have in mind that one of these doomed entries is very useful for me and maybe for some others too.

ok Torben... i'm not going to try convince you for anything..(meaning i'm not answering about this anymore) just read what jpanhalt said few posts above and also have in mind that one of these doomed entries is very useful for me and maybe for some others too.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just stating my opinion. If the competition was to make something useful, that would be fine--but the stated aim was to make something imaginative or innovative.

I did read John's post and understand it, and I agree with most of it. A subjective competition will always have this problem since there is no absolute metric by which to measure the entries.

My only real point was that simply entering doesn't make one a winner, and IMHO that goes for any competition.

Torben

Last edited:
ok what's going on

only 5 entry's

where is my entry than i spend my time in to make somthing usable and from scratch and it is sucsessfully recieved (confirmed in this tread)

it complies with the rules (if the power source for the circuit is exluded) which is also discused in this tread

it is not posted, i ask just simply for a explanation (in this tread and in a personal mesage and so far no reply)

if you ask me this competition is a big disapointment (for me personaly but in general also)

if an entry is not complying with the rules than a message is the least thing that you can sent
that is nothing more than politeness for the effort that the poster took to spend his time

a BIG thanks for sponsor of this competition

and yes I whas also keen to get a price, but even if my entry will be posted now it will do not that much as the most people voted already (and it's only 1 vote a member)

I will post my entry here now so if any members have some coments on it regarding this if it is not suitable for this competition than feel free

at least i have a cleu

Ps circuit discription is a to big word file to attach

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• TMP4.JPG
    TMP4.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 494
  • TMP6.JPG
    TMP6.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 505
Here is the circuit discription by my entry

Robert-Jan

Circuit description transfer pump control

Purpose of the circuitry

Automation of water supply between the city water and rain water storage to feed the general water storage

If rainwater is in the rainwater storage tank than this water has the highest priority to be supplied to the general storage tank

In case the rain water storage comes to a low level or the emergency stop is pushed or the thermal motor protection is activated from the transfer pump than the supply of water is taken over by the city water supply

The flow of water is controlled by solenoid valves (on/off) so in case of a repair from the pump or pipe work the rain water tank doesn’t have to be emptied it’s also preventing the gravity pressure of the water column on the pump when it is not in use

The filling of the main storage tank is controlled by 2 float switches and the electronic circuitry that allows the tank start to be filled if the water level comes to a “low level” and not earlier, and stops automatically when it reach the “high level”

This switching method avoids frequently starts stops which is not desirable for the motor/pump and its contactor

As you can see in the schematic the “low level float switch opens at a low water level
By opening up it breaks the power supply to the base of the transistor (T1) so this one is not conducting anymore and therefore the current is not shorted to the negative terminal but will flow through R4 and D1 to the base of (T3) that starts to conduct

By doing so it will steer transistor (T4) open and the relais will activate
At the same time R6 supplies the base of T3 with a current and makes sure that it stays in conduction (no mater what the status is from the low level switch)
Water will be flowing in the tank till the “high level” switch is activated (make contact) and put the positive voltage to the base of T2 and the transistor T2 will conduct
This one will pull the voltage down on the base of T3 and the relais will be deactivated and the cycle starts again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back