Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Competition #1: Most Imaginative Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes
It does not matter what is inside a package when used as an interface component. It will be counted if it is not used as an interface component.

I agree Officer.

Be sure that interface devices are used as interfaces for your circuit.

By the way my project doesn't contains any primary components or any interface components.It was used in late 1870s which helped to many scientists.After hearing this line I have to shift to another modern project.

Anyway I'll do what ever you say Officer.

you was going to build a ticker tape? :D?

--edit--
Actually if it had helped scientist it was something along the lines of a system which dealt with numbers but I don’t know how far back the first calculator goes.

Last edited:
"spirit"

I think the "spirit" of the competition is to build something that requires electronics, this being an "electronic competition". A science project like a mechanical calculator or a device that measures the speed of light using a rotating mirror can be made electric by adding motors and such, but violates the "spirit" of the competition because they're actually science projects with electric parts added on. They don't really need the electric part to do what they're supposed to do. A device like an electromagnetic metal detector is very much with the "spirit" of the competition because such a device fundamentally depends on electronic theory for its operation.

So a project that uses none of the core components probably violates the "spirit" of the competition. It might still be an amazing project, but it would probably be a glorified science project rather than an electronic project.

Anyone can probably submit such a project, but i'm sure the judges would take off a LOT of points if it violated the "spirit" of the competition.

Common sense once again applies. The internet can run on birds (look for "IP over avian carriers" in google) but electronics make it practical. If electronics are needed to make a project work then its probably acceptable.

Example: Beer cooler that uses a peltier unit hooked up to several car batteries. Requires a feedback mechanism to ensure the beer is always at the right temperature. Could still be done with a simple ice-pack but electronics give you that precision control for just the right temperature.

This is what i think the competition is about, Judges tell me if i'm wrong and need to retool this post.

Don't you still copy "ohms law" for your electronics projects? :D

No, since Ohm's Law is simply a description of the way the universe works. In other words, you use Ohm's Law whether or not you know V=IR.

If the actual contest entry consisted of "My idea is V=IR" then yes, it would be the same thing.

Copying a project idea for a competition in which the whole point is to come up with something yourself is completely different and is nothing but plagiarism.

Torben

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The only way his analogy makes sense is if he builds off some idea from 1870 and improves it/uses it in a new way, then it may well be a valid and interesting contest entry. :)

Yeah, that's what I thought too. The only way his analogy makes sense is if he builds off some idea from 1870 and improves it/uses it in a new way, then it may well be a valid and interesting contest entry. :)

That would be interesting, yeah. And I think valid (but I'm not a judge). Maybe something like implementing a mechanical device electronically. Perhaps there would be older switches or something which could be modeled using the transistors. and so on.

Gayan, if you're not going to use the 1870 idea in the contest anyway, would you mind if I asked what the idea is?

Torben

Last edited:
i'm deffinitely in! you can expect something more on the creative side then the electronics side though but i'll try to make it worth your while. one question though. are voltage regulators in any way prohibited?

Last edited:

You are totaly correct that was I'm going to do.But now I have decided not to make that due to some reason.I never copycat some others projects I was doing my own projects for the past few years.I'm a real life experimenter spending lots of time with electronics stuff & troubleshooting them alone.Thats how I learned.:)

Transistor type is vague. I am assuming that includes UJTs, phototransistors, opto-isolators and MOSFETs. The same may be true for resistors ( thermistors, photocells, potentiometers and sensors.

Transistor type is vague. I am assuming that includes UJTs, phototransistors, opto-isolators and MOSFETs. The same may be true for resistors ( thermistors, photocells, potentiometers and sensors.

from what i understand of the rules any type of transistor or resistor only counts as one if it is not used for the interface for instance you couldn't set 30 potentiometers in equivalent resistor values to circumvent the resistor limit but you could have as many as you want to control your gadget. the same with any of the various transistor and resistance based sensors.

The power source is not counted as part of the circuit.

Does that answer your question?

yes thank you for the clarification!

Last edited:
Thanks!

Hi everyone.
I just wanted to express my appreciation to this site and it's members.
Electro Tech has been a great inspiration and a great source of help to many. Even when I haven't been doing any tinkering myself, I've always visited (frequently) and I really enjoy just reading the way problems are takled and the advice and inspiration that is exchanged.
Now with the addition of the competitions - new growth of the site, I really can't wait until June the 18th to see the clever ideas that are entered. Unfortunately I can't enter - with exams and all - but I'm really looking forward to it.
Thank you Nigel, ElectroMaster and all the other senior members and moderators for being so helpful and so patient :D.
And everyone else, never be reserved, post your questions (read up and make them intelligent), help a brother out, and keep this community blossoming!
Edit: I forgot to thank the sponsors of this competition. The sponsoring - some may view differently - it really makes the competition something to fight for (for some) and generally a more serious thing. And also *especially to hobbiests*, PRIZES ROCK!!! So thank you BlueRoomElectronics!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back