Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class A-B amplifier simulation help

Status
Not open for further replies.
That doesn't work for me with transistors, but it does with passive components. What magic are you using, Eric?

alec,
Run the simulation until it completes.

Place the cursor on the transistor so that it changes into a 'finger pointer'.

Press and Hold down the ALT key, while the key is held down left click the mouse. While the ALT key is down the cursor is a thermometer.

NOTE: the transistor MUST be of a manufactured type, a LTS generic transistor will not [ and cannot ] show the 'thermometer cursor'

Lets know how it goes... no magic..

EDIT:
avi file, change extension from txt to avi

Attachments

• AAS_02.txt
    108 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Thanks for the avi, Eric.
Press and Hold down the ALT key, while the key is held down left click the mouse. While the ALT key is down the cursor is a thermometer.
Tried that for a 2N2222 and a 2N2905. No joy. If I left click the mouse while Alt is down the hand cursor just reverts to a cross.
My system clearly doesn't behave as yours does for transistors yet, strangely, does so for resistors and caps. Version difference? (I'm running LTS version 4.12u on XP SP2).

Thanks for the avi, Eric.
Tried that for a 2N2222 and a 2N2905. No joy. If I left click the mouse while Alt is down the hand cursor just reverts to a cross.
My system clearly doesn't behave as yours does for transistors yet, strangely, does so for resistors and caps. Version difference? (I'm running LTS version 4.12u on XP SP2).

This is my target "C:\Program Files\LTC\LTspiceIV\scad3.exe", I am using XP Pro SP2

This has worked on my PC's since 'years ago', the latest LTS upgrade was about a week ago.

My target is the same as yours, Eric, and my last LTS update was 3 Nov. So the only difference seems to be that you have the Pro version of XP. I can't believe that would account for why I can't 'do' transistor power directly. Weird. I guess I can live with that :).

Last edited:
My target is the same as yours, Eric, and my last LTS update was 3 Nov. So the only difference seems to be that you have the Pro version of XP. I can't believe that would account for why I can't 'do' transistor power directly. Weird. I guess I can live with that :).

Alec,
Post me a working 'noddy' test asc file with a 2N2222 on it, I will try it out.

Here y'are !

Attachments

• Noddy.asc
    980 bytes · Views: 307
Here y'are !

hi,
It works fine in all my 3 PC's ????

EDIT:
Searched a lot of info, its well documented as a feature.
Checked my Windows\scad3.ini nothing special about it?
Check page 38 of this pdf

Attachments

• LTspiceGettingStartedGuide.pdf
    929.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Thanks for checking. Can't see anything wrong with my scad3.ini either.
its well documented as a feature.
Do you mean power measuring, or the problem I have?

Thanks for checking. Can't see anything wrong with my scad3.ini either.
Do you mean power measuring, or the problem I have?

alec
I posted, its well documented as a feature. not a problem.:rolleyes:

If you posted your scad3.exe, I could try that on a PC.

Is your keyboard and driver the 'usual' type ? 102key

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_keyboard

Last edited:
Update: I've just re-installed LTS using a fresh download. All now working OK for power measurement, so I guess my scad3.exe (or perhaps the model library) must have got corrupted somehow. Thanks for your persistence on this.

Is there anyone that can help me build an AB amplifier with the characteristics attached to these in LTspice, at least the schematic please...

Is there anyone that can help me build an AB amplifier with the characteristics attached to these in LTspice, at least the schematic please...

hmmm looks like a homework assignment.... i won't design it for you, but i guess a couple hints can't hurt....

this is going to look very much like an op amp with MOSFETs as the output devices.... lateral MOSFETs judging by the rail voltage requirement (vertical MOSFETs require quite a bit more voltage on the gates for conduction), or maybe depletion mode FETS rather than enhancement mode.... that's about as much as i can say without giving away the farm.....

another hint is: you have probably covered all the material in class already that you need to complete this project.

o_O I don't quite understand this though, so when I do the schematic, how many transistors should i need to place?
i would guess about 5, but i'd rather you go through your notes and look for clues on how to do this. i can't draw a schematic for you, because your instructor wants your solution to be YOUR solution. look at op amp circuits, and draw your own conclusions.... your project has a diff amp for input and complementary MOSFETs running in class AB mode with 5 volts total supply voltage(makes you have to select the right type of FET, and bias network, and this might be the most difficult hurdle), 40db open loop gain (not too ambitious a target), 1Mhz GBW.... it can be done, and has been done in the past... but your instructor wants YOUR solution, not mine.... remember YOU will completely understand how YOUR solution works, but may not fully understand MY solution, and your instructor will know it's not your solution because you don't completely understand it. yeah, it might be nice to have a pre-fabricated schematic that works, but you must completely comprehend the "why" of how it works...

even if you don't come up with a "perfect solution", if you have complete understanding of how it works, that's the whole point of the project (plus the object lesson of "there is no such thing as a perfect solution in engineering").

Last edited:
BTW, it would have been better if you had started your own thread for this, instead of hijacking an ancient one.

unclejed613, Thanks for the advice and help.

alec_t, yeah I know, srry bout that though, I'm new here and didn't know where I could have post something similar as to what I was doing for this homework. Thanks.

I'm new here and didn't know where I could have post something similar as to what I was doing for this homework.
There is a 'Homework Help' forum on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back