Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Class A-B amplifier simulation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune

Hello,
Here i am posting my simulation of class A-B amplifier, it is not amplifying
please see

Attachments

• Class A-B amplifier.asc
    1.5 KB · Views: 691
You have a ground connection on both sides of V3 which shorts it out and likely causes the simulation to crash since the calculated current becomes V3/0.

The other problems are the settings, look at these images, tell me what you think is wrong.?

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    9.9 KB · Views: 632
  • AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    15.6 KB · Views: 599
Crutschow - i removed the ground but it still is the same.

Eric - trans setting doesnt matter in this case ,when circuit is not working

Crutschow - i removed the ground but it still is the same.

Eric - trans setting doesnt matter in this case ,when circuit is not working

I reduced your asc file to only a new Vsrc and single resistor and it still crashes, the only conclusion is that the 'base' asc file you posted is either corrupted or its been edited in some way.??

With LTSpice the Settings ALWAYS matter.

Last edited:
My LTSpice crashed trying to simulate it as well.

I took a quick look in the .asc file, but didn't see anything unusual. (sometimes there are artifacts if someone has been running LTSpice in wine on a Mac, or Ubuntu or other Unix OS)

I reconstructed the schematic from scratch, and now it simulates.

Give it a try.

Attachments

• Class AB Amplifier.asc
    1.6 KB · Views: 519
Hello,
My simulation also crashes :? The only way of simulating is open LTspice and from inside select > open file and then select file.
why is it crashing i'm using windows 7 , should i remake it new ?

Hey SgT Wook your simulation is working but not amplifying.

Hello,
My simulation also crashes :? The only way of simulating is open LTspice and from inside select > open file and then select file.

Why would you expect the transistor emitter followers to have a voltage gain, ie: to voltage amplify the input signal.??

Have you covered transistor theory in your class work.??

Remake with a NEW schematic, the original circuit and post, so that we can re-run it for you.

EDIT:
This slightly modified version of your circuit should give you a clue as to the purpose of this transistor configuration.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    48.2 KB · Views: 976
Last edited:

There likely is something corrupted in your original file. Best way to solve that is to completely redo the schematic from scratch as a new file as SgtWook did.

The circuit does amplify, it just doesn't amplify voltage (see Eric's modified circuit).

I made this again,
this circuit it has current gain of 1696
I never said it will give voltage gain.
How can we reduce cross over distortion ?

Attachments

• Class A-B amplifier.asc
    1.5 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I made this again,

This file is CRASHING my LTS again!

EDIT:
Using my earlier asc file, modified the biasing

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    34.3 KB · Views: 734
Last edited:
Your extremely simple amplifier has no voltage gain so it has no negative feedback. All half-decent audio amplifiers and opamps have a lot of voltage gain then use a lot of negative feedback to reduce the gain which reduces the distortion to nearly nothing.

Your extremely simple amplifier has no voltage gain so it has no negative feedback. All half-decent audio amplifiers and opamps have a lot of voltage gain then use a lot of negative feedback to reduce the gain which reduces the distortion to nearly nothing.

that distortion is not noise its cross over distortion, completely different

thankyou eric it is working flawlessly.
one question - I removed Diodes here and increased the value of resistor from .22 to 1k ohm and it is working fine.
i saw this circuit on a site and there .22 ohm resistor were not present instead only diodes were given there, i built it and as you can see failed.
theoritically it was at correct biasing with diodes

I made this again,
You previously said it had no gain. I assumed you meant voltage gain.

i tested your latest post of the circuit... try it with three or four diodes, that will reduce the crossover distortion because the output transistors are partially biased on. the crossover distortion was because the transistors were biased off during part of the voltage swing near zero. i added a third diode and eliminated the crossover distortion. in commercial amplifiers, the diode stack is replaced by a transistor that acts as a variable "zener". the other problem with the circuit was that you had the diodes shorted by the input wire. see my modified circuit. i added R3 and R7, and changed the values of R4 and R5 to 4.7k

please take note that when you posted your circuit you had a wire from the voltage source to the bases of the transistors, effectively taking the diodes out of circuit.

Attachments

• class-AB-modified.jpg
    class-AB-modified.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,467
  • Class A-B amplifier2.asc
    1.7 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
i tested your latest post of the circuit... try it with three or four diodes.
But the 10 ohm emitter resistors use up 67% of the amplifier's power. They should be 0.1 or 0.33 ohms, then you won't require a 3rd or 4th diode for biasing the transistors.

But the 10 ohm emitter resistors use up 67% of the amplifier's power. They should be 0.1 or 0.33 ohms, then you won't require a 3rd or 4th diode for biasing the transistors.
how did you calculated power of emitter resistance.

how did you calculated power of emitter resistance.
Assume the RMS output swing at the emitters is 100V.
When the output goes up (+50V) then one emitter resistor uses half the voltage (25V).
When the output goes down (-50V) then the other emitter resistor uses half the voltage (-25V).
Then the 10 ohms load gets a continuous swing of half the voltage (50V) which is (50V squared/10=) 250W.

Each emitter resistor has 25V but for only half the total time so each one dissipates half of (25V squared/10=) 62.5W which is 31.25W.

The total power from the amplifier is 250W + 31.25W + 31.25W= 312.5W.
Then the emitter resistors use 62.5/312.5= 20% of the total power from the amplifier and I was wrong saying it was higher.

to illustrate what AudioGuru is talking about, look at the figures below. in a "real-world" application of the circuit you are testing, we will use a similar emitter follower in an amplifier. you will see two traces, one with 10 ohm emitter resistors (R15, R16) you will notice that the output clips at +/-4V. this is because the amp itself is swinging almost rail to rail, but your 10 ohm emitter resistors are acting as a voltage divider with the load, reducing the output voltage. in the second trace, the emitter resistors are 0.22 ohms. the full output swing (almost all that is...) is now across the load, and not being wasted in the output circuit. the input signal level and the overall gain of the amp remained the same. also notice that there is a driver stage, and a bias transistor. the bias transistor Q4 performs the same function as the diodes in your circuit, with R9 and R10 being used to set the conduction voltage of Q4. the outputs are actually wired as darlingtons, so Q5+Q7 act as one composite transistor, and Q6+Q8 act as a composite transistor.

Attachments

• demo-amp.jpg
    demo-amp.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 621
  • 10-ohm-emitter-res.jpg
    10-ohm-emitter-res.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 542
  • 0r22-emitter-res.jpg
    0r22-emitter-res.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 504
Status
Not open for further replies.