Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Centre tap on Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

is it possible to create a virtual 0V centre tap with an existing prewound transformer with only two leads coming out? I would like to take a 9V 10A out put and to turn it into 2 x 4,5V.

Cheers
Andrew

A voltage divider between the two taps fed into a simple voltage follower? As Nigel said though it really depends on exactly what you're going to do with it.

What's the maximum current through the 0V line?

If it's fairly small then a couple of resistors would do the trick.

If you need more current then an autotransformer would do it but it's a fairly bulky solution and you'd wind it yourself.

Do you have a rectifier and filter capacitor on the output?

If so and active virtual earth circuit can be used.

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/5v-supply-from-two-7805s.39621/
virtual-earth-gif.19542

I know the current is 10A but that wasn't my question, what's the 0V line current?

For example, if the current through the phase is 10A and the current through the anti-phase is 9A, the current through the 0V line will only be 1A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back