Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cell phone interfacing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you trying to do? I'm working on a GPS Tracking Device (GTS) to recover stolen vehicles. I'm using an ATMega128 microcontroller and a MicroTek GSM cellular modem. Its pretty simple, just a serial connection between the two devices.

MicroTek sells the GSM modem and a development kit for $250. I didn't get any sample software code with it, but its 100% serial data, quite easy to program. It uses a DB9 connector that can connect directly up to a serial port on your computer.

The ATmega128 is probably overkill for what you need, but I needed both UARTs on it. An ATMega32 has a single UART and IIRC its a 16 Mhz controller with 32 KB program space. There are also tools to program it using C code, or Atmel provides an assembler you can use. The dev kit for this device was about $200 as well. I believe there are also schematics available so that you can make your own kits, and the processor will cost you about $4 or less.

Both kits come with HUGE documents, my modem has over 300 pages of commands, luckily I only need less than a dozen ;) It is capable of SMS though, and I have GSM service through T-Mobile.

Is this ANYTHING like what you wanted to know?

help needed

i just read about this topic and would like to know some more details. i am trying to do a project on how to make a vehicle tracking unit.

one problem is that i cant get a gps module here and i tried to get one.what happened is that the module is just Rs.5000 but after all taxes it comes to Rs.10 thousand. so i hvnt got it and trying to get it from some where like singapore or so so that i can save the taxes...but i have a slight change i am using Atmel Mega 128 and a mobile phone(nokia 3310) instead of the gsm module so that i can reduce cost.

could you pls tell me how to go ahead with this..i am not a tech guy.i got these informations from the net.

i am looking forward as to how to connect these modules.

one more thing is i want to send sms to a particular number but only after it get a call from a particular number.

how can this be done
pls help

regards
jijoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back