Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Button to press switch in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpbarry

Hi Folks.

Apologies for asking what may appear to be a stupid question. Not sure if it’s covid brain fog or whatever but ive a circuit board I want to mount inside an enclosure. It has a small on/off switch but I want to control it from a button on the outside of the enclosure - a kind of spring loaded extension that when i press on it, it will touch the switch and switch it either on or off.

For the life of me, I don’t know what to call it on Google/Bing to search for such an ‘extension’

This is the board I have. Switch is on bottom right. I’m using it to link to a computer PSU to give me the 3.3, 5 and 12 volts at banana sockets on the enclosure

any assistance greatly appreciated

Declan

Spring loaded pin ....?

Cabinet pins -

1650194217416.png

Regards, Dana.

Do you have a schematic of that board?

Mike.
Hi Mike

unfortunately not. I suppose I could meter it out and see which pins on the pub switch actually switch the module on and modify it with a fly lead switch.

Last edited:
The typical "official" names are such as an "Extended reset operator", but the industrial parts tend to have ludicrous prices!

I'd look for some form of modular pushbutton (that has interchangeable contact assemblies) and add your own plastic rod extension to it, something like one of these:

Unscrew the contact block and you have a smart looking button you can attach an extension to.

I'd look for some form of modular pushbutton (that has interchangeable contact assemblies) and add your own plastic rod extension to it, something like one of these:

Unscrew the contact block and you have a smart looking button you can attach an extension to.

Or, why not just wire one of the new switch contacts in parallel with the contacts of the switch on the breakout board?
That would save all the mechanical fiddling to make the push rod line up between to new PB and the switch.

JimB

Or, why not just wire one of the new switch contacts in parallel with the contacts of the switch on the breakout board?
That would save all the mechanical fiddling to make the push rod line up between to new PB and the switch.

JimB
Actually, it’s something I may look at. Just looking to see what type of latching switch it is. It has 6 pads on it - surface mounted to board.

Declan

Are you sure it's a latching switch? Many devices use a push button and the latching is done by other parts of the circuit. Metering it without power will tell you if it's latching or not.

Mike.

Are you sure it's a latching switch? Many devices use a push button and the latching is done by other parts of the circuit. Metering it without power will tell you if it's latching or not.

Mike.
While it might not be a latching switch, it looks like a very common type of one - you see them a lot, and do have 6 pads.

Are you sure it's a latching switch?
The amazon link photos show a legend next to the switch, with it depressed for on and released for off.

However, the board has the PSON connection brought our to a screw terminal already - so an external on/off switch could be wired between that and 0V/GND, & just ignore the on board one, leaving that off??

The amazon link photos show a legend next to the switch, with it depressed for on and released for off.

However, the board has the PSON connection brought our to a screw terminal already - so an external on/off switch could be wired between that and 0V/GND, & just ignore the on board one, leaving that off??
Sometimes the easiest options are the ones staring you in the face! Should have read the silkscreen legend properly. Tested it out and it works. Obviously needs to be a latching switch.

cheers folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back