Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Business Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB1

Hi all this is my first post so bear with me.

I am an amateur electronics hobbyist ( i studied electronics at college) and I have an idea for a little bit of pocket money.

I recently saw a film where a guy used a little device to gain access to a car. Am I right in assuming that the device counts up in binary (transmitted through the IR LED's) and stops when the correct code is attained? If so I think I would like to try to make one. My idea is to build the device and use it to help people who have been locked out of their cars (and are late for work etc) for a fee, of course! Is anyone in possession of the schematics for the said device? If anyone is led to believe that I will use the device for illegal means they can rest assured I have no desire to break into cars and go to jail.

Many thanks in advance

D Burt

I'm not familiar with any cars that can be unlocked with IR LEDs, RF and keys are the only two methods I'm familiar with. You could possibly make an RF device to accomplish that, but it would require a ton of research to determine just what frequencies different manufacturers use, and how the code they contain is transmitted, and how to make a counter to go through all the possible codes. And that alone might not be enough, if I were a car manufacturer, I would include a security feature that would detect such a brute force hack, and lock down for a bit. All in all, it would be incredibly difficult. Car manufacturers didn't make these locks so that people could make a simple device to hack them.

Just to comment on your business idea, if you were to create such a device, that alone would not be enough for a business. You would probably have to learn the whole locksmith trade to earn a living. Or you could sell such a device to locksmiths.

You can take a look at the projects page for the garage door hacker, that seems related to what you are describing. But I don't think the device you want is very realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back