Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bone Growth Stimulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick note of caution.

One description of bone growth stimulator (in this posting) mentions that it is ultrasonic in nature. The one prescribed for me was magnetic - my son (medical professional) did some research and verified that for me. They do use ultrasonics to treat bone related injuries though I am uncertain on how ultrasonics are use except that my son was treated for a soft spur and the ultrasonic treatments made it go away.

My bone growth stimulator had a logging program with built in calendar which would provide information to the doctor on when it was used. I was supposed to use it daily for 6 months and did so. When it was getting close to the last day the unit indicated that I was close to the end and finally signalled the end of treatments. I called the manufacturer to see what might be done with the unit -possibly donating it. Their instruction was to throw it away. The control would no longer allow it to function and recycling via the factory (reprogramming) wasn't in their plan as the FDA did not allow that. I don't know if all bone growth stimulators are programmed in a similar way.

Last edited:
To Stevez

Thanks, Stevez! I read about the FDA single use thing. What a shame. I suppose we're stuck buying a new one. There are medical device sites where you can purchase use equipment like BGSs. Do you have any thoughts about this? Thank you for your help. I am swimming in muddy water not having any experience in ortho, or "non healing" bones.

My husband's femur was shattered mid thigh and has not healed at all since July when the accident happened. Our doc was hoping to see some knitting after the second set of x-rays and a second surgery with him. The original surgery took place in a public hospital in a different state and it was a pretty bad outcome. So, now we're having to "retro" treat by removing the hip pin and hopefully forcing the upper part of the femur to the lower part connect by pins at the knee area.

I'm being long winded, but any suggestions and ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back