Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Blowing 555s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok nice one mate, It would appear that my 'blown' 555s are not really blown at all, it just started working again, for no apparent reason.
I just Cant understand why this is.

thnx

A 555 has a momentary power supply current of 400mA when its output switches. A bypass capacitor is needed to hold up the voltage to the IC while the battery voltage is being killed. Anything elese using the same battery will also be starved of supply voltage when the output of the 555 switches, unless a bypass capacitor is used.

bitem2k said:
Ok nice one mate, It would appear that my 'blown' 555s are not really blown at all, it just started working again, for no apparent reason.
I just Cant understand why this is.
Improperly designed circuits can often be like that, one minute they work and the next minute they don't.

One old trick for intermittent operation is to go back and briefly touch a hot soldering iron to each joint. Sometimes a cold joint will cause lots of problems.

Make sure that you awlays use a resistor at 1k or greater when experimenting with a 555!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back