Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone experimented with minimum pulse with 555?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadj2

I am preparing to build a project with several 555 timers producing pulses of various durations between 10 and 20 microseconds. The 555 I am using is actually one of the dual 556 ICs. Here is the datasheet https://www.st.com/stonline/books/pdf/docs/2183.pdf. Now, in the datasheet it claims to be capable of a frequency greater than 500Khz that would imply that this IC is capable of a on time of less than 2 microseconds by just deviding 1 by 500,000. However, I have also read several places on the web about a minimum pulse duration of 10ms or something like that. I was wondering if anyone has had difficulty producing very short pulse durations with the 555 timer IC.

Thanks

555's aren't really very fast - it's more common to use simple CMOS or TTL gates for such purposes - either configured as oscillators or monostables. You can even buy specific monostable logic chips, but you can figure a couple of gates as a monostable anyway.

But moving out of the 1970's and 1980's, a modern solution would be to use a micro-controller, PIC's and AVR's are the most popular - this would make it simpler, and far more accurate.

You should be able to get the durations you want from a 555. However there are a number of drawbacks. Accuracy is the biggest one - since the 555 uses an RC time constant, you are at the mercy of the accuracy of the Rs and C you use. I also recall having trouble with short pulses and the trigger.

The suggestion of using a uC is a good one, you can get pretty accurate pulses down to the microsecond level (or lower if it's a multiple of the clock frequency).

A non uC based approach is to use a counter/divider (like the 4060) and a crystal for the timebase. Much more accurate than a 555 approach though it takes a little more ingenuity to get the exact length of pulse you want.

I have run 555 timers up to 1MHz successfully in astable mode with very respectable waveforms. I think they get a worse rap than they deserve. I was using a CMOS version though (LMC555). I can't vouch for the quality of any TTL parts.

ETA: Texas Instruments has dual CMOS parts they claim will do >2MHz astable. They also have them available for free sample. Make up 'Your Name Inc.' and order a few.

https://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tlc556.html

Caution: at these frequency ranges, you will be using a very small (pF) cap. Keep the traces to/from the cap short, small, and away from other traces/ground planes. Parasitic capacitances will throw off the accuracy of the standard 555 equations. Use a pot instead of a resistor in the 555 ckt so you can tune it by hand to get the right delay and account for the effect of any parasitics.

(I speak from experience, as I stupidly ran two very small traces to a 22pF cap that I made sure was right next to the pins, and totally forgot about the ground plane underneath :( My calculations were 25-50% off or something).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys. I dont think I have the skill level to use programmable chips yet. I am happy to hear that 10 microsecond pulses are at least possible with the 555. I guess I may have to reorder new parts in the CMOS versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back