Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adjust digital odemeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregory

I have Installed a second hand digital speedometer into my Honda motor bike
How do I adjust the odemeter back to the original reading.

Very carefully...
You have provided absolutely no useful technical information to answer your question, hence you're going to get no more of a useful response than that until you do.

It's also going to be specifically designed to prevent you doing that, if you fit a replacement odometer you should record the reading on the original one, and the reading on the new one.

There's really no honest reason to want to do it!.

What do you have to do when you install a new odometer?

I would assmue you need to record the milage on the old one and the milage on the new one in the service book so when you sell it they know the mileage.

Yeah, but you could just as easily make up numbers. I know in the gauge cluster for the Celica there's an EEPROM that holds that info. Check on the cluster for ICs and google the part numbers.

ParkingLotLust said:
Yeah, but you could just as easily make up numbers. I know in the gauge cluster for the Celica there's an EEPROM that holds that info. Check on the cluster for ICs and google the part numbers.

See that's a smart idea.

ParkingLotLust said:

Yes, but isn't the data going to be encrypted?, and in anything modern I would expect the EEPROM to be internal in the processor.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Yes, but isn't the data going to be encrypted?, and in anything modern I would expect the EEPROM to be internal in the processor.
I had a play with an old Senator digital dashboard and while I could read and write to the EEPROM, I couldnt easily crack it.

I would suspect that newer ones are even harder.

You could just go to a Honda dealer and see if they have the programmer to reset the mileage - I know the Vauxhall dealers in the UK can do this at least once to a dashboard.

I've purchased replacement electronic odometers from the dealer - they had the means to reprogram the odometer - I was required to bring the failed unit in. All of that presumes that the failure didn't affect the memory.

There was a guy in the UK that got jailed a few years back for resetting digital car odometers.. :eek:
I am sure if you google hard enough, you'll be able to come up with some decent info..
If your bike Odo is legit, why not take it to the official dealerships, and see if they can reset it?

<edit> Take a look on ebay.. LOADS of interesting stuff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back