Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 min off and 1 min on timer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

roltex_rohit123

I posted a thread earlier for a cooler timer and got some good suggestions, but the ic is not available at our local stores. so i was thinking if the circuit could be made of only of 555 timer. what i think is using 2 timers of 4 min each such that when one is on other is off. From the outputs of both; one 555 would be used monostable for 3 min. when one timer would be on then after 3 min the monostable will start a motor and stop it after timer goes off. then from the other timer again the 555 would be activated after 3 min. and again start a motor through a relay. but i doubt whether a single 555 could be driven from 2 other 555 timer having their outputs common? i can do at the most that a gap of 2-5 seconds between each timer. But will it work?

I posted a thread earlier for a cooler timer and got some good suggestions, but the ic is not available at our local stores. so i was thinking if the circuit could be made of only of 555 timer. what i think is using 2 timers of 4 min each such that when one is on other is off. From the outputs of both; one 555 would be used monostable for 3 min. when one timer would be on then after 3 min the monostable will start a motor and stop it after timer goes off. then from the other timer again the 555 would be activated after 3 min. and again start a motor through a relay. but i doubt whether a single 555 could be driven from 2 other 555 timer having their outputs common? i can do at the most that a gap of 2-5 seconds between each timer. But will it work?

hi,
Can you buy locally any type of counter IC.?

I'm a new bie and know only 555 and 4060 in this category. moreover if i program the 4060 then it would give me 7 min on and 7 min off. but i want that i want 7 min off and after that 1 min on. i know these type of circuits are availabe in the market, but i want to make one by myself.

have you considered using a microcontroller? For example, you could do that very easily with a PICAXE -08M, Arduino, etc.

I'm a new bie and know only 555 and 4060 in this category. moreover if i program the 4060 then it would give me 7 min on and 7 min off. but i want that i want 7 min off and after that 1 min on. i know these type of circuits are availabe in the market, but i want to make one by myself.

hi,
Can you buy AND or NAND gate IC's.??

yes if they are available. Our local electronics shopkeepers dont keep ics because there isnt much demand and they are reluctant to help either. they ask for numbers and we know the functions. thats the difference. if you could sugest me some numbers may be i could get them.

Farnell sell the CD4017 and have an outlet in India.

**broken link removed**

So it's changed to 1 minute on every 8 minutes?

Is that a 9 minute cycle?

1 minute on, turn off for 8 minutes and repeat?

It's pretty easy to change the circuit I posted the other thread to do that.

Or is it 1 minute on, turn off for 7 minutes and repeat, i.e an 8 minute cycle with 1 minute off?

The circuit I posted in the other thread can also do that or you could use the CD4060.

Attachments

• CD4060 8 min 1 min.PNG
    CD4060 8 min 1 min.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,395
Last edited:
Farnell sell the CD4017 and have an outlet in India.

**broken link removed**

So it's changed to 1 minute on every 8 minutes?

Is that a 9 minute cycle?

1 minute on, turn off for 8 minutes and repeat?

It's pretty easy to change the circuit I posted the other thread to do that.

Or is it 1 minute on, turn off for 7 minutes and repeat, i.e an 8 minute cycle with 1 minute off?

The circuit I posted in the other thread can also do that or you could use the CD4060.

any way is good.

4060/555 option:
**broken link removed** and with a 1 minute 555 monostable in place of the NAND gates.

ken

4060/555 option:
**broken link removed** and with a 1 minute 555 monostable in place of the NAND gates.

ken

good idea but what abt the timer when 4060 goes low? means 10min on and 10 min off for 4060. we then connect a 555 at its output. then after say X min it starts. its ok. but when 4060 goes low for 10 min then what?

Set the 4060 timer for 4.5 minutes high and 4.5 minutes low. The 1-minute 555 monostable is only triggered on the 4060's high-to-low transition (not on the low-to-high)...once per 9-minute cycle. The 555's output in low for 8 minutes and high for 1 minute.

Ken

Last edited:
Set the 4060 timer for 4.5 minutes high and 4.5 minutes low. The 1-minute 555 monostable is only triggered on the 4060's high-to-low transition (not on the low-to-high)...once per 9-minute cycle. The 555's output in low for 8 minutes and high for 1 minute.

Ken

Thats great!! now the real problem of relays!! i havent made relay circuits so have no ideas of relays. i would be operating both the ic's at 12 volts. our local shopkeepers do not give components unless we provide them with numbers and description. i think relay 12volt 2Amp would be enough for me. now problem is only with the number

Last edited:
That will work but the input to the 555 needs to be AC coupled with a capacitor (see datasheet), otherwise the output ov the 555 will be low for half the time.

Hero,
Thanks! What's in my head doesn't always appear on the screen ;)

roltex,
Not being in India, I don't know what relay manufacturers your shopkeepers have. Maybe you could ask. You will need a relay with a 12VDC coil and 2A SPST contacts minimum (or SPDT, or DPST, or DPDT).

Ken

Last edited:
Hero,
Thanks! What's in my head doesn't always appear on the screen ;)

roltex,
Not being in India, I don't know what relay manufacturers your shopkeepers have. Maybe you could ask. You will need a relay with a 12VDC coil and 2A SPST contacts minimum (or SPDT, or DPST, or DPDT).

Ken

instead of 12 volts i will drive my circuit on 6 volts. i have a 3-0-3 transformer 500mA. it would be producing 0-6 so it would be better. i have a 6 volt relay available.

You could use a 6V relay.

A 6V transformer with a biphase rectifier will give 9.5V unloaded and 7.5V fully loaded anyway, a 9V relay would be ideal but most 6V relays are tough enough to work at 9V so don't worry.

now i am facing some problems. i have done most of the things and tested the circuit on LED's. but i am not getting IRF540 at local stores. the are out of stock. so please give me some options for it. if there is anything of this kind used in TV or radios then it would be easy to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back