Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasona@wbeer

ive reserched this a bit and i think i got it figured out the only thing i dont understand is how will the capacitors affect my out put
and if i use 2 10k resistors my duty cycle is 2k now what will this look like if i put a light on the out put will it flash or is tthis too fast to see

any more info you think i might be able to use would be apreciated

I think you mean frequency instead of duty cycle. Duty cycle is the ratio of on time to off time (or vice-versa), frequency is the number of cycles per second. At 2kc you will not see any blinking. The eye cannot see 60 Hz, so you would have to be lower than that. With 2 resistors in the standard circuit, the duty cycle is 33.3%.

Since your timing resistors are both 10k ohms, a 47uF timing capacitor will cause the frequency to be about 1Hz and a 4.7uF capacitor about 10Hz.

Russlk said:
I think you mean frequency instead of duty cycle. Duty cycle is the ratio of on time to off time (or vice-versa), frequency is the number of cycles per second. At 2kc you will not see any blinking. The eye cannot see 60 Hz, so you would have to be lower than that. With 2 resistors in the standard circuit, the duty cycle is 33.3%.

t1 = 0.693(R2)C
t2 = 0.693(R1 + R2)C

T = t1 + t2

f = 1/T

duty = t2/T x 100%

The duty-cycle is 67% high and 33% low since the timing resistors have equal values. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back