Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

555 timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

Hi, I'm an amature trying to make a timer using a 555 cmos in astable mode to light an led at a specific time say 10 hours and then run for around 3 hours and stop. The Vcc should be +6 volts, any help on resistor and cap values would be great as I'm having trouble working out the math. thankyou.

johnny said:
Hi, I'm an amature trying to make a timer using a 555 cmos in astable mode to light an led at a specific time say 10 hours and then run for around 3 hours and stop. The Vcc should be +6 volts, any help on resistor and cap values would be great as I'm having trouble working out the math. thankyou.
Sorry, you won't get 10 hours with a 555 timer on its own. The periodic time depends on the CR product, (seconds = C in microfarads x R in megohms x a constant) and the values for 10 hours are far higher than the 555 can handle.

You need to drive a divider chip from your 555. Your question has been asked before, so do a search for previous answers.

i think that one hour is doable.......so use a 4017....but this way you have 1hour on time and 9 hours off time....

bogdanfirst said:
i think that one hour is doable.......so use a 4017....but this way you have 1hour on time and 9 hours off time....
I'm facinated that you find an hour 'do-able'. Out of curiosity, what C and R did you use?

May be in Giga Ohms and capacitor in Farads :) If you use C = 10,000uF then using formulae:
T_on = 0.693 * (R1+R2) * C
T_off = 0.693 * R2 * C
We get R1 = 4.08 M and R2 = 4.6 M
This I think is practically impossible. I don't think the circuit will be reliable at all.

Well, it can be done using long duration timer IC from EXAR. Its XR22?? along with 555 serving a clock to this IC. I don't remember the number of this IC since I studied it quite long back and have never used it practically. May be some on here knows it.

How about using a 4060, on board clock with RC timing and then binary counting........ timing can be set quite accurately if you use a preset....... or else, a 4047, and 4040 combination......

just a suggestion of course, unless you need to use a 555 8)

Even that is a good solution.

If more accuracy is required use Crystal Oscillator.

Those Exar devices were:
XR-2240 Programmable Timer/Counter: 16-pin DIP, Timing from uS to days, 4V-15V, 0.5% accuracy.
XR-2242 Long Range Timer: 8-pin DIP, Timing from uS to days, 4.5V-15V, 0.5% accuracy.

Don't know where to acquire them.

creakndale

creakndale,

i have a problem about my project i dont know how to connect them using 555 timer, 74LS92 and 74LS47 driver to make it counting 00-99, so i decide to ask from you guys if you know the diagram. tnx and God bless you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back