Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

500W-1kW offtheshelf offlien SMPS's with no fan (240VAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi
We would like to see examples of offtheshelf SMPS's of 500W up to 1kW that have no fan cooling, to look at the sizings.
By "no fan", we mean no fan inbuilt into them, and no fan meant to be mounted externally of them.
Also they must not be water cooled.

Do you know of any?
We cant find any on the web

Thanks, thats great, being just 15cm by 15cm by 12.5cm, i cant help[ but suspect that it wont allow itself to deliver full power of 960w if an external fan isnt blown over it

If you don´t believe it, than go buy it and test it for yourself. As far as I know, if the datsheet says it can work up to 70°C ambient when mounted in horizontal position (on a wall, air free flowing by convection from bottom to top through the mesh) then it will, and probably a bit more. Our customers would tear us to shreds if such specs were not true. But also note the derating on page 2, it is a convoltued way of saying it drops from 40A at 60°C to 25A at 70°C ambient.

(I design I/O modules in similar form factor, and know how the typetest goes and that the datasheet always has derating if the product cannot provide full performance over the full temperature range)

Last edited:
No, they just mount in a machine electrical cabinet and are convection cooled.
The only limitations are nothing so close above or below that the airflow would be unduly restricted.

We have used countless ones in that same series in machine tool control systems & never had a problem with them.

As an example of convection cooled gear, we use quite a few Sprint PLX motor drives. The smaller frame sizes, up to at least 15KW rating, are just convection cooled. By the time they get up to 50KW they have a couple of small fans on top, but I don't know offhand how high they actually go on convection.

Admittedly, the back half of the entire unit (where the side screws are in the photo) is heatsink.

eg. this series:

Sprint-PL5.jpg

Looks like you forgot to give a like to rjnkinsgb for his post #2, which actually by my view gave you the most intormation. Good luck Flyback, and frankly I hope I donl´t ever encounter anything you had your hands on, for the fear of it killing me or people who are close to me.
Could you by any chance make a list of things to avoid? Would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, i notice digikey doesnt allow you to search for IP66 (and above) rated power supplies of power 500w-1kw.
I wish i could find these.
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back