Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pc fan generators

Martin Steele

Hi my name is Martin Steele I live in the UK, like all of us at the moment we are all suffering from high energy prices.

So I am having a Solar system put in at the end of August.

Then I got to thinking about complimentary wind energy this would tie in with my solar system perfectly. We live in quite a windy county and the flat roof to the front of my premesis looks out over the valley below, and makes me feel quite dizzy when I get up there.

The only problem with this plan is my carbon caring councill,if I even dared to put a wind turbine up there they would be dancing all over my premesis, issuing me with court orders Warrents ect ect ect.

So never to be defeated I started searching around for alternative wind generation devices that might help to fill the need.

One of the ideas that I have come across is generation using old or new pc fans, my knowledge of electronics is rudimentary to say the least.

Is there anybody on this site that can offer some sound advice or another solution to this problem.

I dont have an awful.lot of money to throw at this so solutions need to be inivative.

Regards Martin Steele

Start with something that will not eat your wallet and later multiply if satisfied. If it is "for a boat", likely has an inflated price. Perhaps an used one to try first ?

----> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=wind+generators+for+boats&t=ffab&iax=images&ia=images

If you already have :

Find a compatible windmill that can feed its energy into that battery.
What is your plan to supply your house using the energy stored in that D.C. battery ?
I cant put up a windmill because of my carbon caring council they would be dancing all over my premesis if I even dared to erect a turbine.

They make me feel sick double standards or what.

Regards Martin

As much as I can and I would use it by switching things on in my home.
Completely meaningless - if you don't know what you want, how can you decide if it's possible or not?. It also seems completely pointless when you've already got a decent sized solar system.

For an example of a small turbine, which 'might' sneak past your council, this one is 29W and suitable for trickle charging a car battery:

But at £424.50 not cheap!.

Or for 92W and £804.95

And at 910mm diameter getting a bit more 'obvious'.

You might try having a look at this guys videos on YouTube, who makes his own wind turbines, and lives off-grid using solar, water and wind power:

Last edited:

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back