Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformerless power supply on fan

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
I just bought a bathroom fan with a timer, that runs when the bathroom light is on and a few minutes after that. I had come across older ones that used a resistive dropper, and got very hot. They used 10% as much power when switched off as the fan used when running.

When turned off, the electronics is just waiting for an input signal, which is a mains voltage, so it hardly needs to be sensitive.

In the new fan, there is a large capacitor, which I assumed was a capacitive dropper. Here is what it looks like.

fancircuit.JPG

I checked and I found that the fan took 1.4 W all the time, which was far more than I expected. I looked under the board and found that the capacitors were in parallel with the mains, and there was a resistive dropper under the board. The dropper was ten 8.2k surface mount resistors, in a 5 series, 2 parallel array, totaling 20.5 kOhm. The circuit was:-
old_fan_circuit.PNG

I haven't included the trigger circuit. That feeds straight into the timer part.

I can't work out what the capacitors are there for. The motor is an induction motor so I wouldn't have expected the to be much RF interference from it.

To cut down the power and the heating of the circuit board, I changed the circuit to this:-
new_fan_circuit.PNG

This now works fine and takes so little power that it doesn't show on a plug in power meter with a resolution of 0.1 W. I calculate that the power is a bit under 0.1 W

I'm trying to work out why the fan was made with an inefficient resistive dropper. Any ideas?

Standard style R/C snubber arrangement, Probably there to cut down on Triac switching noise.

"Why the 470 pF as well as the 0.1 uF?"

Designers option?
Also the two series resistors are unusually high value!

"Why the 470 pF as well as the 0.1 uF?"

Designers option?
Also the two series resistors are unusually high value!
The resistors look like they are there to discharge the capacitors so that the input voltage will decay quickly when the power is removed.

I would have expected series resistors if the capacitors where there as snubbers.

The 470 pF is around 0.5% of the value of the 0.1 uF, but they are very different types. I can't see any reason to have both.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back