Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2-3 second on/off timer for link tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezlo

I've assembled this Ethernet Link Tester using a 23A (12v) battery and momentary switch and it works great. Now I'd like to add a timer circuit to it so that the transceiver is on 2-3 seconds then off 2-3 seconds. I mounted the battery, switch and female DB15 plug in a Radio Shack 270-283 project box so that I have room for the timer circuit.

The timer circuit will be connected to an on/off switch but I'd also like to use the momentary switch to bypass the circuit and power the transceiver directly.

I'm assuming I'll need a 555 chip and a relay (which would power the transceiver) but beyond that I don't have a clue how to proceed. I'd like to have both the timer circuit and the transceiver be powered by a single 23A battery, but I don't know what the duty life of the battery would be.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Mez

Any takers? I'm sure this is a very simple circuit but since I don't know the correct terminology to look for my Google searches haven't been helpful. I probably came across a working solution but just didn't recognize it as such.

Mez

It's a link tester? Where do you even find a AUI to 10bt adapter. Why not just power it from a wall wart instead of a 23A (Ah?) battery?
What are you trying to build?

Last edited:
It's a link tester? Where do you even find a AUI to 10bt adapter. Why not just power it from a wall wart instead of a 23A (Ah?) battery?
What are you trying to build?

The purpose of the momentary switch so that I can quickly determine whether a network jack is live. The purpose of the timer circuit is so that I can plug it into a network jack and then go to the switch and identify which port that jack is plugged into by the steady flash of the link light.

I know there are existing devices which do this and much more, but even the cheapest are $200 or more. I got the AUI adapters for $12 each (gotta love Ebay) and the components should cost maybe $20 total.

Mez

Last edited:
OK, in order to get different on/off times I need an astable 555 circuit, correct? If so, will this calculator work for me? Also, the relay will be connected between pin 3 and ground, correct? What will the output voltage be on pin 3 if Vcc is 12vdc? If it is high (over 9v) do I still need a relay or can I connect the transceiver directly to it?

Also, how do I choose the correct relay to use? I was planning on using Radio Shack # 275-241 (12VDC/1A SPDT Micro Relay). Will that work for this project?

Finally, is there a more energy efficient way to do this since I'm pulling from a fairly small battery (another post on here said 60mAH but I don't know for sure)?

Mez

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back