Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1W n 7W amp are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobbyguy

Hi i solder a 1W amp and the 7 or 8W i bought it from (sumo) but when i connect the 7W to the speakers and blast it is the same loudness as the 1W amp can some one explain why.

You don't mention anything about the speaker(s)? If the speaker can be maxed out with the smaller amp, that is as good as it gets. More power won't do anything, short of burning up the speaker coil.

Ron

You forgot to tell us the speaker impedance and power supply voltages.
You also forgot to tell us if the amplifiers are bridged or are single-ended. Schematics would help us see what circuits they use.

A single-ended amplifier can produce 8W at clipping into 8 ohms if its power supply voltage is 28VDC.
A single-ended amplifier can produce 1W at clipping into 8 ohms if its power supply voltage is 11VDC.
If the 8W amplifier has an 11V supply then its output will be exactly as loud as the 1W amplifier.

Sorry, for the power supply are one 9V battery for each amp, with the 1W amp when I max out you could hear distortion and with the 7W amp just stays in one level with no distortion, the speaker is a bookshelf I don't know the exact specification, and sorry if I forgot to mention something else.

You don't mention anything about the speaker(s)? If the speaker can be maxed out with the smaller amp, that is as good as it gets. More power won't do anything, short of burning up the speaker coil.

Ron

Last edited:
An amplifier that has a 9.0V supply (not a weak little 9V battery) and an 8 ohm speaker produces only 0.77W at clipping. If its volume control is turned up higher then distortion harmonics are added until the output is a 1.54W square-wave.

You can turn the volume control on the 7W amp so the loudness sounds like the 1W amp but it will have no distortion. Clipping produces distortion.

Ok thank you audioguru.....

An amplifier that has a 9.0V supply (not a weak little 9V battery) and an 8 ohm speaker produces only 0.77W at clipping. If its volume control is turned up higher then distortion harmonics are added until the output is a 1.54W square-wave.

You can turn the volume control on the 7W amp so the loudness sounds like the 1W amp but it will have no distortion. Clipping produces distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back