Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

120v exaust fan omron timer delay circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ler

Hello folks, i've installed a exhaust fan in my garage but trying to make it operate through a delay timer. Overall I want the fan to start by momentary pushbutton and only operate for a set time and reset when timed out. I have on hand two omron timer relay's, both H3CR and 8 pin, a A8E and a H8L, which I believe are on delay and off delay. Here's where I lack the knowledge.

My base wiring is 2 and 7 are the coil wiring, 1 and 3 are my holding contacts for the pushbutton and 6 and 8 are to energize my fan. It won't work for me. Can anybody throw me some idea's of where I went wrong?

Oh, and the fan draw's 1 amp

According to the datasheet the H8L is the OFF-delay type.
Why do you want "holding contacts for the pushbutton"? As I understand it you would normally use the pushbutton to connect the coil (via pins 2 and 7) to the appropriate-voltage timer supply for the minimum required time (>0.1 sec for S-series, >2 sec for M-series).

I believe the H8L is a off delay, but I also have a A8E which I believe is a on delay. In my circuit I have the momentary pushbutton energize the coil and I use the holding contact to keep the coil energized but I don't know if i'm using the right set of contacts for this (out of the 2 normally open contact configuration). I want these holding contacts to "time out" so when the timer goes it opens up these holding contacts, de energizing the circuit.

I don't know if i'm using the right set of contacts for this
From the datasheet you should be able to use either 1 and 3 or 6 and 8 for the holding function.

I'm currently using 1 and 3 for the holding contact and 6 and 8 to turn on the fan. I just need the timer to "time out" at the set value but what is happening is that I push the button, the fan turns on but will not turn off unless I cut the power. It doesn't matter if I set it to 1 min, it will not turn off. Which is telling me i'm missing something or i'm using the wrong timers or ...

I've never used one of these timers, and I find this bit of the datasheet unclear:
TimerSettings.gif
It looks as though Setting '12' (for example) gives a range of times, implying there are two controls; one for selecting the range and the other for selecting the time within that range. Is that the case?
Also, does the datasheet mean that holding the button closed for the minimum 2s (for the M-series device which I take it you have) results in the chosen delay time? If so, perhaps the holding contact use is unnecessary. Try without using it, but press the button for >2s.

I'm currently using the 6 sec setting and I notice I have to keep the button pushed for about a sec before the circuit is fully made. I believe I need the holding contacts to keep the coil energized once I depress the pushbutton, which open circuits. Another thing I don't understand from the data sheets is reading the timer bar graph. Still reading up on it though.

I believe I need the holding contacts to keep the coil energized once I depress the pushbutton, which open circuits.
Still worth trying without the holding function. Maybe the time-out delay starts when you release the button. If this is a solid-state timer it may be able to store enough charge during the 2s press to run the timer for the set delay period (just guessing).

It works!! I'm still trying to grasp why it works but she times out perfectly. I appreciate your help and the little push, now I have a nice conversation piece!

Good to know you got it working :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back