Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1.5 Volt Tracking Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a beginer in the electronic component and I wish to know more about that (any documentation or books).
So any one help me I will be very gratefull

learning

kewl,, electronics is neat, you just have to surf the web or goto radio shack and get a learning lab for about $60.00... electronics uses capacitors, used to hold a charge, there sometimes round and tall, or small and looks like a paper ufo, then you have resistors, these are simulare to the led in a pencile, if you drawl a line with a certain type pencile and hook a ohm meter up to the line you drew, you can mesure the resistence of that line, the longer the line and less lead the more it resist. for example, a wire dont resist that much,,,,''Next you have your diode. in electronics you have a N type silicone and a P type Silicone, Positave + can only travel threw the P type, and Negative can only travel through the N type silicone, this stuff is man made, it is cooked, back to the diode.

if you hook a light to a battery and then it comes on, place a diode between the light and the battery, if done right, the light will come on, if you hooked the diode up backwards, it will block the current. since N Voltage cant travel threw a P type silicone,,, next you have a Transistor, they come in NPN or PNP its a silicone sandwich. you hook the light up to the transistor and the middle leg is the gate, or swith,, youd have to read up on the transistor to understand it more. then you have coils. you run a voltage threw a coil and it makes a wave, you unhook the volts from a coil and the volts rush out of the coil. so if you hook a ceramic cap to the coil you would have a oscilating circuit. google that! now try electronics in the howstuffworks.CCOOMM

What has this got to do with the topic title?

Well, Triple Access has certainly given my poor old eyes a new outlook on electronics!

JimB

JimB said:
Well, Triple Access has certainly given my poor old eyes a new outlook on electronics!

JimB
Yeah, I now see I wasted 5 years of my life getting my EE degree. :(

WOW, that lesson has enlightened me to the ultimate level that I just might retire to a high peak in Nepal, sitting endlessly in the Lotus position while postulating how the colors RED and BLACK came to be indicators of positive and negative. Must be a Yin/Yang thing. I wonder if they serve up "silicone sandwiches" in a Nepalese monastery?

To me "silicone sandwich" means my face burried between a couple of size D cups!!:D

triple_access said:
kewl,, electronics is neat, you just have to surf the web or goto radio shack and get a learning lab for about $60.00...
The only thing I have ever learned from Radio Shack is that the sales people are often clueless, they spend more time ringing up a cash sale than it takes to mow a hilly 1 acre lawn using a push mower, returning an unwanted item for a refund is like trying to get Rowe v Wade overturned in Congress, I can locate the desired component on a peg or in a drawer faster than they can, and their advertising slogan, "You've got questions, We've got answers" equates to nothing more than me asking when they close for the day and they reply "We close at 8pm, but I might pack it in earlier if business remains slow.":( :eek:

i knw this thread has been no move for a long time
but i would like to ask some question if you guys dun mind

i have connected all the components of the 1.5v tracking transmitter but my radio cant detect it...does anyone knw wats the problem with it?

Yeah - it's missing that damn emitter resistor like Scrooge pointed out on page 1.

ic....sori did't notice it ther
does any mind telling me wats a emitter resistor?
if i m asking wrong question sori cuz i m reali noob here...:(

Last edited:
ic....sori did't notice it ther
does any mind telling me wats a emitter resistor?
if i m asking wrong question sori cuz i m reali noob here...:(
Look at hundreds of FM transmitter circuits in Google. They all have an emitter resistor like this:

Attachments

• tracking transmitter again.PNG
    tracking transmitter again.PNG
    5.9 KB · Views: 879
I keep getting PMs from this guy.

No it won't work if it is made on a breadboard.
It will work if it is made compactly on a pcb or on Veroboard.

I made mine with Veroboard and the circuit is small.
Here is a pic that shows a mess of a circuit that does not work because its parts are spread out all over the place, and my circuit that is compact even though it has many more parts.

Attachments

• FM tx comparison.JPG
    FM tx comparison.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 603
I do not need 30 miles ,
but for dog tracking up to 1 mile.(Using time difference of arriving signal, or pseudo Doppler)
Do not worry I have amateur radio license and law say I can use frequency exactly determined by lay, power and modulation.
So I need something with almost practically zero drift , exact frequency (out side amateur frequency I violate law) small battery consumption,
low voltage.
Very old transmitter used for wild animal tracking, look like good, but semiconductors 40 year before and today are not same. :confused:
(original blue print are just a little change according today electronic components)
Anybody have fresh idea?
Thank you.

P.S. Today for wild animals nobody use such simple device.
P.S.S. Now professional device use satellite ,GPS , not simple homing principle. But I do not need GPS and other for me expensive device.

Attachments

• M15m_circuit.jpg
    M15m_circuit.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 614
hi, hop you dun mind me asking noob question...
if you got coil d y do you need crystal sumore?
i dun quite get how the circuit works?

hi, hop you dun mind me asking noob question...
if you got coil d y do you need crystal sumore?
i dun quite get how the circuit works?
"Hop, dun, d, y, sum". Please speak in English, not in shorthand.

A crystal gives a very accurate frequency. It also has a coil and capacitor tuned circuit.

A coil and capacitor tuned circuit allows the frequency to be changed if something moves toward or moves away from the antenna because then the tuning capacitance is changed by stray capacitance.

I think the crystal oscillator will stop if something moves toward or moves away from the antenna.

Last edited:
Coil and capacitor (I am not invented this, schematic diagram is from professional device early 1960 ) need because oscillator work on 3 time higher frequency than crystal frequency.
I do not know how type crystal (quality)was used in original wild animal tracking device 40-45 year before. But now it is easy found newer used computers crystal, petty cheap.
Exactly Uncle Scrooge, it possible some change frequency on output if you multiple few time basic crystal frequencies. (I was long ago use on amateur frequency transmitter with 18 multiply,from 8MHz to 144MHz and easy drift 25 kHz + - )
Problem stopping oscillation, good idea Uncle Scrooge, this simple oscillator not simple like look maybe, it work on rf frequency, but also on-off to save battery(Low oscillation too). So I try found something secure in work.

i have already tried to solder one myself.
as in the image
**broken link removed**
But i can't get the frequency of a Fm radio frequency range.
Can someone help me and point out the mistake that i have made?
all the components i got are the same from the circuit diagram.
Thanks a lot.

i have already tried to solder one myself.
as in the image
**broken link removed**
But i can't get the frequency of a Fm radio frequency range.
Can someone help me and point out the mistake that i have made?
all the components i got are the same from the circuit diagram.
Thanks a lot.
Which circuit diagram?
You need to build HF oscillators on a board with ground plane on one side, short leads on all components, and good power supply decoupling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back