Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1-5 second delay-on circ, using 100k pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
was wondering if someone could post a circuit schematic. with the correct values using a 100k potentiometer to adjust the delay from 1-5 seconds. the circuit is cmos so everything is 5v so the circuit is such..... using a sr latch, the set output goes the the timer circuit, delaying the 5v output for 1-5 seconds, that 5v goes into a cmos buffer IC. I only would like the timer schematic with correct values of capacitor and resistors. I do not want to use a ne555 or crystal..... just a simple capacitor and bias resistors.. it is not critical, timing close to 1 second and close to 5 seconds is good enough... I started a different post trying to use my existing circuit, but now , thinking it may be best to use the correct values to get the desired range. as my current configuration goes from 0 seconds to many hours.... which I dont need. my other post was heading in this direction, so I thought to keep the subject matter correct, a new post was in order, thanks again, Steve

Look at figures 6-1 to 6-15 in this reference. Which type of delay do you want? Edge-triggered or Pulse triggered? Rising edge, falling edge? Level triggered (where the triggering signal is longer than 5 sec) or pulse triggered (where the pulse is shorter than the output)?

I think you misunderstood my need...... I do not require a pulse. to simplify, If I were using a toggle switch, I would throw the switch then 1-5 seconds later the power would come on. depending on the position of the pot. I am not using a toggle switch, I am using a sr latch to provide the 5v that a toggle switch would provide, which then after a 1-5 second delay, that 5v produced by the delay circuit will go through a cd4050 buffer/line driver. its an on delay.......
I am going to look trough the information though, as it is very informative......

I think you misunderstood my need...... I do not require a pulse. to simplify, If I were using a toggle switch, I would throw the switch then 1-5 seconds later the power would come on. depending on the position of the pot. I am not using a toggle switch, I am using a sr latch to provide the 5v that a toggle switch would provide, which then after a 1-5 second delay, that 5v produced by the delay circuit will go through a cd4050 buffer/line driver. its an on delay.......
I am going to look trough the information though, as it is very informative......

How long is the flip-flop off before the next time it is turned back on?

How much current do you draw from the timer's output?

Last edited:
More than 5 seconds, a few minutes probly.

The current draw is not an issue

The current is minimal it drives a cmos buffer cd4050

I have been looking on google and came across the formula T=RC, I am locked into using a 100k pot, or a 10k pot. whichever is better. I would like to only have the range between 1-5 seconds, my confusion is how to only stay within that range. I assume I will need to put a resistor in series with the pot. also dont know the exact draw the cd4050 draws, and if I need to use a pull down resistor, and if that changes all of the values..... I don't use formulas, I usually breadboard test things to get the values, whichsometimes things are not balanced very well..... and It takes a long time...... I guess a Lab guy....not so much math and formulas....... thats why I am asking.....

Try this:

Not ideal, the delays will only be approximate. You would do better with a CMOS Schmitt input gate or buffer, or with a 555, which has more reliable trip points.

The signal Q (upper plot pane) is what comes from your flip-flop. In the sim, it goes high at 1s, and stays high until 9s.

The output from the 4050 buffer goes high at 2s (green), ~4s (red) or ~6s (blue) as the pot resistance goes from 0Ω, 50KΩ and 100K, which is a delay of 1s, ~3s, and ~5s, respectively.

You will be lucky to get timings of +-20% as the input trip point of the 4050 is not very well controlled.

Attachments

• DF61.jpg
    DF61.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 175
would a 1n5817 diode (schottky) work ok, seeing timing isn't critical? what if any negative effect would it have? +-20% is fine, the function the timing controls does not warrant more components..... worst case scenario is It would take an extra 30 seconds out of my day..... I need to order some stuff then will try It out ..... thanks...... Steve

A 1n5817 will work a little better than a 1n914, but costs more. If you already have some, ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back